Chapter Fifteen

Mallory

My insecurities in Reid and I's relationship were resurfacing. My unease was catalysed by Brent's reappearance in my life. Reid knew Brent personally, which he didn't inform me of, while we were dating.

My boyfriend was reserving his plans from me. I didn't like it, and I didn't fully trust Reid now. He was so close to me, yet so far. 

Reid would take action on Brent straight after he left Capulet's. I was sure of it. I was going to follow him, but I couldn't tail Reid alone. 

I smiled at him, setting down my glass. "I need to use the bathroom quickly. I'll be a second."

"Sure." Reid said easily, biting into his chicken. I got up from my seat and walked to the rooms in the back of Capulet's. Once I was out of sight, I took my phone out and dialled Cleo.

"Hey, what's up?" Cleo said, once she'd picked up.

"I'm so sorry about how I've behaved with you, Cleo. You deserve a better friend, if I'm being honest." I admitted. I felt bad throughout my entire date with Reid because I disrespected Cleo. The thing with Brent eclipsed all my prior thoughts of apologising.

"It's okay. You know I don't want anyone but you, Mallory. You're my platonic soulmate of nearly twenty years. If Reid hurts you, then I'll go knock some sense into him."

I felt a lump growing in my throat and I smiled. For once, my tears were coming from a source of happiness. "Thanks, Cleo. You know I'd do the same for you. But for now, I need your help."

"Help with organising a girl's trip? I'm on board." Cleo said. I could practically hear her rubbing her hands together in the background.

"We can schedule that in. But I need to follow someone."

Cleo gasped. "Mallory, you want to spy on someone? I hope you've thought this through."

I tilted my head, though she couldn't see me. "Just about. I promise I'll explain, but for now I have to get Reid out of Capulet's."

"What does Reid have to do with this?"

"I may or may not have gone to get brunch with him."

"What! Why am I learning this now?"

"It was a very impromptu decision. But there's more important things to talk about. Brent came to your apartment, Cleo, and he approached me once he saw me leaving."

"What the hell? What did he say?"

"Said a bunch of crap about me being his property, then he grabbed my arm a little too hard. Reid found out about it when we were eating and now I think he's either going to do something stupid or finally reveal whatever secret he's hiding from me about Brent. I need to know which one it is."

"Or you could just ask him?" Cleo mumbled over the phone. "You know, communicate."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not doing this for a joyride. I just don't think that Reid would be honest if I asked him outright. He already hid the fact that he knew Brent before he met me. This is the only way I can think of finding out the whole truth. Doesn't that make sense?"

Cleo sighed. "Of course it makes sense that you want Reid to be honest, but the method matters. You can't just follow him to see if he happens to go to Brent's house. That's borderline crazy, and you're making a serious mistake by doing this."

"Why not? I'm sure that he'll find Brent as soon as he leaves." I said recklessly.

"Mallory, I'm not certain that you're thinking straight so I'll try to be the voice of reason here. Reid was devoted to you. I'm sure if he didn't tell you something, he only did it for your benefit."