Chapter 7

"It is a day of great sorrow," says Dean Withers as he stands behind the brown podium in the auditorium. Under different circumstances, I would have been impressed by the large room and the chairs with footrests that pop up. However, right now, I'm more focused on the girls that are sitting on either side of me silently sobbing into a tissue. 

"Victoria Caldwell was a vibrant light among the student body here at Riveroak Prep. Her death is marked by a tragedy that will not leave any unscarred. Grief counselors will be positioned in this very room for any of you that feel you need to talk at any time. Due to the circumstances, classes will remain closed for the remainder of this week to allow for processing and healing. Please use the remainder of this time to grieve and mourn this tragic loss. An automated call has been sent to your parents regarding this incident. Please refrain from doing any press on the matter." 

He walks away from the podium and Anne-Marie grabs onto my arm and squeezes. "I'm just so happy I called you out of that bush," she says with snot starting to drip out of the corner of her nose. "Had I not, maybe she would- she would still be down there!" She holds onto the last word as she sobs into my shoulder. 

I try not to be insulted at the reminder of Anne-Marie's betrayal. I know that it all seems trivial to think about, but she had the opportunity to have my back and she didn't. That's not something you're able to overlook in a friendship. Especially at a place like Riveroak. 

I also didn't know Victoria. The situation is sad, but I don't have any skin in the game as opposed to personal and emotional attachments. 

Other than my therapy bill for seeing a dead body.

A girl who I've never seen interact with Anne-Marie comes up and gives her a giant hug. She sobs into her shoulder and Anne-Marie does the same. I can't help but feel like some of these tears from Anne-Marie are for show. Even Gala mentioned that she thought Anne-Marie seemed glad that she was missing. 

It's weird that everyone seems to know everything about her though. I know what the news presented to the public, but they get the snapshot. The "she was a light every time she walks into the room", that every documentary says about the victim. These kids knew Victoria. Was she the epitome of love and light? What stories do these kids know?

"Ladies, we are all sleeping over at my house tonight. Get a bag and meet me in my room within the hour." 

Stassi, Pria, and Anne-Marie all walk away and Gala turns to me with tears still streaming down her face. "They feel so fake right now," Gala chokes out. She wraps her arms around my neck and I squeeze her. 

"I'm so sorry this happened, Gala." 

We stand there and hug for what feels like forever, but Gala was there for me when I first came to Riveroak. I can be here for her now. 

A finger taps my shoulder and Gala breaks our hug. Chip is standing behind me with an empathetic smile as he stares at Gala. "Hey, Summers," he says. 

"Hey, Chip." 

"I'm really sorry for your loss. If there's anything I can do please let me know." 

"I appreciate it," Gala says as she looks at me and leans in. "He likes you. Meet me in the room after you flirt. No use in both of us being sad." 

She walks away and I turn to look at Chip. He's wearing a red V-neck and khaki board shorts. His hair is just tousled enough to look like he just rolled out of bed, but styled enough to where you know it's intentional. 

"I just wanted to check on you and make sure you were doing okay," Chip says. "Something like that must be rough as hell." 

I got no sleep last night after finding Victoria's body. I woke up several different times and had several different nightmares. Sometimes she was a zombie coming to get me to join her ranks as the undead. Sometimes she was alive and screaming for help. Every time I would wake up gasping for air and hoping that I didn't wake Gala up.