Chapter 16: Atlantis

The loud sounds of blowing horns and provoked shouting gradually quieted as Akikta and the rest of the group were taken away from the Manta Maria.

After losing sight of the ship, Akikta observed how everyone else handled the situation. Nakji was still defiant, occasionally attempting to wrestle from the salmonids' fins. Inka looked terrified, not daring to move an inch as her wide eyes zipped between Akikta and Nakji. Marie was the same as Nakji, though there wasn't much she could do inside her glass cage.

Eventually, the four were dropped off at a big circular gray platform that stuck out above the ocean's surface.

After releasing them, the salmonids hovered close by, not getting within arm's reach of the group.

Akikta turned to Inka, who instantly grappled onto the platform's railing, trembling. She was more scared than he thought. "Inka, are you alright?" Inka responded by shaking her head quickly. Nakji gently touched her shoulder, concerned for her friend's wellbeing.

He recalled Nakji mentioning salmonids were real dangerous. The salmonids near them right now didn't seem all that bad, but if those bigger salmonids were anything to go by, they must've had a frightening impression on inkling society.

Akikta kneeled to Inka. "Listen, I know these things look scary, but you don't need to be afraid. They won't hurt us." Inka looked at him, still quivering. He'd place a hand on her other shoulder. "I won't let them hurt you."

Inka slowly composed herself, shaking less as a result. Suddenly, she pulled Akikta into a big hug, causing him slight pain. "C-careful. Those agents really messed me up..." She eased up on her hug, only letting go when Marie spoke up.

"You didn't say your boss worked with salmonids." The idol crossed her arms, clearly displeased with the current predicament.

"I'm pretty sure they're his pets. And he's not my boss. He's my friend," Akikta responded sternly.

Nakji turned to him, confusion written all over her face. "Pets?"

He turned to Nakji. "Yeah. They seem well trained."

"Aki... salmonids aren't things you can keep as pets."

"What do you mean? Metta had one."

"I don't know what the deal is with that one, but her situation isn't normal."

"His name is Little Buddy." Marie interrupted with a huff. "And he's a companion. Not a pet."

Akikta saw no difference in what Marie said but chose not to argue. "Pet, companion, whatever. He follows her around like a pet, doesn't he? It could be the same with these-"

"Salmonids are not pets!" Nakji repeated.

"You called them terrifying beasts!" he reminded. "Clearly, they'll listen to whoever tames them."

"They aren't creatures that can be tamed, Aki! What do you not understand about that?" she shook her head. "Yes, I called them beasts. But I never said they weren't intelligent. They don't just mindlessly follow simple commands; they have their own way of life!" Nakji explained.

Akikta was stumped. "Wait. So what you're saying is... they're sentient?"

Marie gave out a slight chuckle. "If you didn't know that, you really must not be from around here."

Akikta looked down, questioning what little he knew about the salmonids and their species. If they weren't pets, then what were they to Sal?

While he was lost in thought, a panel opened up in the middle of the floor, catching everyone's attention.