Chapter 13: Disaster at the Splatfest

By the Splatfest's start, starry skies, flashy spotlights, and loud applause were the sights and sounds Akikta became immersed in.

Nakji's guess was right on the money. There were a ton of people here tonight—more than Akikta expected. The crowd of primarily inklings and octolings gathered at the center of a wide circular area, with buildings and alleys on either side. Behind them was a main road, and of course, front and center were the one and only Squid Sisters.

Inka gave him the impression Callie and Marie were extremely popular, So he expected the coastal area to be crammed. But this was outright ridiculous.

It felt like he got packed into a can of sardines. Did all of Inkopolis come to see them or something? He looked at the buildings and saw even people inside had their windows opened, cheering for the Squid Sisters.

Considering how many people were present, Akikta thought the main attraction would be hard to see. But Callie and Marie were propped up onto separate trucks, both of which were converted into mini-stages, equipped with speakers and spotlights. Callie's stage had mainly purple and pink colors, whereas Marie's stage boasted a bright lime green.

His first time seeing them in person was as surreal as seeing them dance.

Differences between the two cousins' movements and expressions stuck out. Callie looked eagerly excited and happy, being fairly active in her steps. Conversely, Marie sported a less unenthusiastic look, but her motions flowed elegantly, like a squid gliding through water.

Their performance of a song called 'City of Color' had the crowd raving hysterically. The audience grooved with the Squid Sisters, but their dancing was subpar compared to Callie's and Marie's. Not to mention the duo's heavenly singing.

Callie's voice was high-pitched and gave out the right energy. Marie's pitch was slightly lower, but still hit every note gracefully and perfectly.

Akikta now understood why they were so popular. They had genuine talent.

However, all of this was... a bit much. The blaring noise, the bright lights, the large crowd; it was overwhelming. And it distracted him from what had to be done.

It was time.

Akikta shimmied through the crowd into a nearby alley. A ladder was out, leading onto a scaffolding staircase connected to a building. He used that to get on the roof. Once at the top, he went to the edge of the building, getting an eagle's eye view of the entire concert. If someone looked up, they'd see him, assuming they stared long and hard enough.

Even with the flashy spotlights, the area was still quite dark. Plus, the crowd had their attention on the Squid Sisters, and vice versa. He didn't have to worry about being spotted.

"Should be any second now-" A loud boom, accompanied by a colorful bright light, echoed from above. Fireworks, the thing he'd been waiting for.

Each time one exploded, it gave just enough light for Akikta's whole body to be visible. He put up both arms and looked forward.

Past the Squid Sisters' trucks was a lower deck of the circular area. And past the railings of that deck was the calm sea and a short dock leading to the Manta Maria.

Akikta made out a tiny black silhouette next to the railing, and once they saw his arms go up, they hurried onto the Manta Maria.

When they disappeared from view, Akikta scanned the crowd until his eyes landed on the small figure of Nakji. She was leaning on a wall next to an alley, staring at him.

Akikta lowered both arms, pointing them at the crowd. In response, Nakji stopped leaning on the wall and began prowling through the cheering masses toward the trucks.