Scarlett observes her a moment. She didn't exactly believe her but didn't want to pry. "Are you alright?"

That question alone was almost enough to break the dam of tears Charlotte had been holding back since she left Kimber's. She let's out a small breath before answering.

"Oh, yes, I'm alright." She gives Scarlett a somewhat reassuring smile. "I think the waiter got the worst of it truthfully." Scarlett doesn't press any further, giving her a nod. JP looks between the two of them in between bites of his food.

"Would you like something to eat?" Scarlett offers, moving on from the topic of the races that she clearly didn't want to speak about. Maybe the food would rejuvenate her, Scarlett thought she looked a bit pale and was concerned.

"No, thank you. I ate before we left the races." She hadn't eaten anything since that morning. "I'm just going to go get out of this dress and rest a bit. All the dancing and excitement from the races has left me exhausted."

Scarlett nods in understanding, but was still worried. "I'll make you some tea."

"I'll bring it up to you, Charlie!" JP says suddenly.

Charlotte gives them a grateful smile. "Thank you both." She then turns and makes her way up the stairs.

She enters her room and shuts the door, locking it before letting out a sigh. She takes off her dress, changing quickly, trying to decide if she should fix it and keep it or get rid of it altogether. If she did keep it, it would only be a reminder of the day. The day that had started out so well only to end so horribly.

She throws the dress over the end of her bed as there's a light knock at the bedroom door. Charlotte opens it and see's a focused JP holding her cup of tea very carefully. She thanks him kindly, taking the cup of tea from him and setting it on her dresser near the door.

Immediately after, JP launches himself onto her, hugging her legs, head resting on her stomach. Charlotte was surprised but returns the hug instantly, one arm going around his shoulders and the other behind his head.

"What's this for?" She can't help but ask.

"You looked like you needed it." JP says as he pulls his head back to look up at her. Charlotte gives him a sad smile, bringing him closer to her once again.

"I did. Thank you."

JP heads down the stairs after, leaving her to rest. Afterwards, Charlotte finishes her tea and lays in her bed the rest of the night, body shaking slightly as tears stream down her face. The events of the day running through her mind, bringing up old memories she had long been trying to forget.

*

     A few weeks had passed since the day at the races, and in that time Tommy had been actively avoiding Charlotte. Much like how he did after they first met. They still saw each other in passing, while walking from Watery Lane or while she was serving him in The Garrison. But what was once an understanding, a magnetic pull between them that brought about new feelings neither had experienced before, was now at a standstill. Both of them not knowing where to go from there. Too many things still left unsaid.