five

The Misaki Stairs

The Misaki Stairs. It's said that you must never step on the fourth stair. And if you happen to break that rule... you'll immediately be sucked into another world. The world of the dead. No one will know that you've gone missing. And you'll be ripped into tiny pieces. They say that if you visit the staircase at twilight, you'll find the blood of the victims dripping from that fourth step.

.

.

I hummed as I walked into class, swinging my bag over my shoulder. Nene seemed... kind of panicked for some reason.

"Excuse me, sir! Do you know what happened to the flowers that were over there?" She asked, pointing a finger towards... an empty space.

"Flowers?"

"The ones that Aoi was taking care of."

...Wait, who's Aoi? Is she like... an apparition or something? But then again, that wouldn't make any sense?! I hope she isn't going insane. Uh... maybe something supernatural happened? I don't know, I'll have to ask her about that later.

"Do you mean the class botanicals?" The teacher pointed towards the plants that have been dying... for quite a bit now. Honestly, Yamabuki's as bad as taking care of those things as I am. That's saying a lot. "Because he's the one in charge of them over the summer. Who the heck is Aoi? You mean in this class? I don't have any students called Aoi."

The other students proceeded to whisper about who the hell Aoi is and how Nene was going insane or something.

"Hey, [l/n], you know that girl, right? Do you know who the hell Aoi is?!"

Uh, oh! You've entered a decision path! 

> One, lie and say you know who Aoi is, so the students either don't think that your friend is going nuts.

Two, tell the truth and let Nene be thought of as cuckoo.

"Uh... I think I've heard that name somewhere...? Oh, maybe she's thinking about Akane? You know, since he has 'Aoi' in his name? Maybe like... she knows another Aoi somewhere but she's not in this class?"

Your lie was: Weak!

"Sounds pretty fishy to me, but I guess that might explain it."

You took a sigh of relief just as Nene burst out of the classroom, running away. Oh, god.

.

.

.

The school bell rang, and I walked into the girl's bathroom. By the way, I don't handle the toilets anymore. I just mop the floors. Nothing bad happened so far, so...

"[Y/N]! PLEASE TELL ME YOU KNOW WHO AOI IS!" The cream-haired girl screamed, shaking me.

"...Yeah, sorry. I don't know who Aoi is. I was planning on asking you about that, actually. Is she like... an apparition?" I asked.