Chapter Eighteen

Depuis le début

Chandeliers adorned with crystal droplets hung from the lofty ceiling, catching the light and reflecting it all over the walls and the shiny hardwood floor below. The tables were dressed in pristine white linens, accented with beautiful floral centerpieces. The sound of waves crashing against the shore outside provided a soothing atmosphere. A spacious dance floor sat in the middle, awaiting Scarlett and Nate's first dance.

The food was buffet style around the room with various stations and options. Cole hadn't had anything yet aside from a few appetizers during the cocktail hour. His stomach nagged at him and he hoped they could eat soon. They had all enthusiastically taken advantage of the open bar, drinks in each of their hands. Allison had headed over to get another drink from the bar a few minutes ago.

Music played in the background, and Cole was pretty impressed. It was a good mix of old hits and newer charting songs. Though apparently, Nate demanded his songs be added to the "no-play" list. Sam had wanted to hijack it to only play his songs, but Lorena managed to intervene.

"Who made the wedding doughnuts?" Sam asked her as he glanced over at the beautifully decorated pastries. Cole glanced over, just now noticing the tower of doughnuts on display.

It was a signature of his sister's bakery. She started making doughnuts for weddings a couple of years ago, something that actually started at his own wedding. She made the doughnuts as a wedding gift, and had been making them for weddings ever since.

Scarlett smiled fondly. "These two boys who worked at the bakery in high school actually made the doughnuts as a wedding gift, they should be around here somewhere."

"Hey, when's your first dance?" Lila checked curiously.

"Should be any minute," Scarlett said with excitement, glancing over at Nate who was speaking to some of his cousins. "I should go say hi to people, be right back."

Scarlett glided over to meet up with Nate, greeting his cousins. Cole smiled at her, she looked like a princes. He noticed Lorena and Matthew chatting with Nate's Dads in the corner. His mother had been cracking up at everything Henry and Roy were saying. Matthew was losing it as well, keeling over every time the two opened their mouths.

Cole turned his attention back to his siblings, who stared at him expectantly. He blinked in surprise. "You two good?"

"You wanna tell us what's been going on?" Lila offered with raised eyebrows.

Sam added, "We sent Ashton and Charlie to get us drinks, so we have a minute."

Cole laughed, shaking his head. "I appreciate it, guys. But I don't think this is the best place."

"You sure?" Sam asked with squinted eyes.

Cole went to say no, but remembered what his mother said. How family existed to bear the burden with each other. How he didn't need to face this all himself. His gaze went back and forth between the twins who waited patiently for him to respond.

"Maybe later," Cole decided with a nod. "I could use some advice."

"Oh, then don't go to Sam," Lila said dismissively. Cole smiled at the comment, appreciating the break in tension. "Advice from him always backfires."

"Excuse me, says you," Sam shot at her.

Lila rolled her eyes. "Name one time I've been wrong."

"Feels dangerous," Cole mused as he scrunched his face up.

"And now, we'd like to invite everyone around the dance floor to join Nate and Scarlett for their first dance," the DJ announced through his microphone.