Shadamy Week 2023 - Day 7 - Alternate Form

3rd person POV

Shadow was having more and more trouble hiding his 'new features' from his girlfriend, Amy Rose. He was afraid. Afraid of her fear, her hatred, that he t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ no, knew she would feel if showed or told her about it. 

You see, for a few months now, his Black Arms DNA started causing the growth of new 'abilities', or rather, mutations. 

The first mutation was his eyes. Or, eye. He had grown a new one on his head, with a slit red pupil and yellow sclera. If he closed it, it looked just like a bump. The next day he told Amy that it was just an accident and wasn't bad, but it was permanent. He just had to be careful not to open it.

Over time, more and more mutations grew. He suspected Amy was onto him... 

Maybe he should tell her. But he was too afraid of her reaction. He was afraid of losing her.

But he had to tell her. If she found out he was lying, she'd hate him for sure. She hated dishonesty, and they'd promised to be honest with each other.

He went to the kitchen where his girlfriend was making breakfast. He hid his new, long tail from view and put his arms behind his back, for they had received more red stripes.

"Good morning, honey," Amy greeted him as she cooked. If only she knew...

He took a deep breath in and walked towards her, readying himself to come clean about everything. She started talking about her late night at work and how she had found him sleeping on the couch when she got home, etc. etc, unknowingly killing any confidence he had built up.

He listened silently. 

But she ended the (albeit one-sided) conversation abruptly with an "I know, Shadow."

Shadow blinked. He felt nervous. Did she find out about his secret, or was it something else? 

"Know what?" He managed to choke out. 

"Know about your... 'new abilities'." She gestured to him.

Oh no. Oh fuck. Oh god oh god oh god-

Shadow could barely process a response and just stammered out "W-what abilities?"

Amy sighed.

"Why? Why did you hide this from me? I thought..." She looked at Shadow with sadness in her eyes. "I thought we had each other's back... I thought we agreed to tell each other everything." 

Shadow felt a pang of guilt build in his chest. "So why didn't you?"

Shadow couldn't answer. His worst fear had come true.

"...I- I was afraid..." His voice was no more than a silent, broken whisper.

"Why...?" He heard Amy's voice cracking, most likely in sadness.

He tried his best to respond. 

"I thought you'd hate me or be afraid or-"

Amy sighed, exasperated. 

"Shadow, I told you I wouldn't hate you and you still lie?!"

Why was she getting angry with him? Why?

It certainly did not help Shadow's mood.

"I said it already! I! Was! Afraid!"

"WHY?"

That was the breaking point.

"WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING FROM ME? FOR ME TO BE PERFECT? UNAFRAID? IS IT SO WRONG FOR ME TO BE SCARED AND MAKE A MISTAKE BECAUSE OF IT? WHY WON'T YOU JUST HELP ME?"

Amy was shocked from Shadow's outburst. Her ears pinned down to her head, a telltale sign of sadness, fear, or general discomfort.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." The two of them apologized simultaneously.

"Rose, I-"

"Shh." Amy silenced him.

"Don't."

Her voice was slow and quiet.

Amy pulled him in for a hug. "I know this is stressful for you... I shouldn't have lashed out. I'm sorry. I just hate being lied to... it makes me feel untrustworthy..." 

Shadow leaned into the embrace, feeling her heartbeat and warmth. It felt natural.

"I shouldn't have lied in the first place... I'm sorry for hiding it from you, I just didn't know how you'd react. I wanted to tell you this morning..."

"It's alright, Shadow."

They both smiled and settled into their hug.