✯ 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 ✯

December, 1944

December, 1944

𝐓𝐎𝐌 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 acting really strange these past 10 days, Daisy thought to herself. Ever since they had made the Amortentia potion, he had been uncharacteristically polite to her, and in their tutoring sessions he had even been kind.

If she had not seen him charm professors like it was nothing, she would have even felt flustered. But she only felt suspicious.

Before she could sort through any more of her thoughts, Gabriela sat down next to her, practically glowing with excitement. They were situated on the meadows of the Hogwarts grounds, perched in a perfect place to view the lake. Many other students lounged near them, basking in the sun and enjoying the lunch break.

"I cannot wait for the ball!" she exclaimed. "I'm so excited to wear my dress and go with you and Anika. I even turned down two offers yesterday."

"What?" Daisy turned to her in surprise. "You shouldn't have done that. You'll have so much fun with an actual date!"

"But I'll have so much more fun with my girls," Gabriela smiled sweetly. "Plus, all the boys in our year suck anyway. And the only ones who are attractive are either psycho or unavailable."

"Yeah, that's true," Daisy laughed. "But at least you have guys asking you out. Anika and I certainly don't have that problem."

"That's because both of you are meek little mouses. I'm always telling you guys to be more confident and loud, because that's what a guy likes."

Absent-mindedly, Daisy thought back to Tom telling her to be quiet and getting angry whenever she remotely challenged him. She was certain he would not like a girl who pushed back against him. 

"Okay, is Anika gonna hurry up and get here?" Gabriela broke into her thoughts again. "What is taking her so long anyway?"

Speaking of the devil, the Hufflepuff girl trudged up to them only seconds later, looking strangely guilty of something. She settled down next to her friends, unsure how to break the news of what just happened to her. 

"Anika, what's wrong?" Daisy asked her, immediately noticing her the girl's change in her usual mannerisms. "You didn't get sick on stuffing yourself with the chocolate mousse again, did you"

"No," the brunette said with a small smile. "Nothing is wrong...necessarily. Just...unexpected."

"C'mon, spit it out!" Gabriela demanded, patience running thin like it always did for her. "You're making me nervous."

"I just got asked out to the dance," the Indian girl revealed, evoking gasps from her two friends. "And I said yes."

"Oh my gosh!!" Daisy squealed in excitement, reaching over to squeeze Anika's hand. "I'm so happy for you! Who was it?"

Anika looked carefully at Gabriela as she replied, tensing anxiously for her response. "It was Julian Lestrange."

The Spanish witch blinked slowly, not comprehending the girl's words as she stared at her with a blank expression.