Chow mein

Amelia sat with Nat watching tv with the curtains closed so the sun didn't blare through onto the screen. They had convinced the parents to go to an old car show that George desperately wanted to go to just so they could lounge around for the whole day. Sarah was lovely, but if you sat in one place for too long she would rope you into whatever she was doing.

"Did Steve go for a run?" She finally asks the older girl who shrugs. "James always sleeps in, but Steve doesn't".

Nat didn't care about Steve's sleeping habits. Like everything else he did, there was probably a strange reason that made complete sense to him and no one else.

"Maybe he's just having a lie in for once in his life?"

"He went to sleep so early yesterday, he should have been the first to wake up today", Amelia mumbled as she got up and started walking up the stairs.

"Maybe we shouldn't bother them", Nat said but followed the younger one up the stairs anyway. "We shouldn't really be opening the door, what if James is getting changed or something".

"Even better", Amelia joked.

They both found themselves on the other side of the door with their ears to it.

"Do you hear anything", Nat asked.

"No, we should just open it".

"What if they're awake and we open it, it'll be weird".

"We can just make something up and say we want to order in dinner? I don't know".

Before Nat could reply, Amelia held onto the handle and slowly pushed the door open. The room was full of light and they peered in to see no movement or life of any kind. Until the door opened the whole way and they could see two lumps lying in James's bed.

Amelia hit Nat's shoulder to make sure she was seeing this too as they stared open mouthed.

"When did it happen?!" She asked but Nat thought about it.

"I have no idea. Do you think it was at the party?"

"Maybe, they didn't argue at all yesterday and Steve even played limbo at the party which he would never do".

Steve kept hearing something and it was waking him up every time he drifted back off to sleep. Making a disgruntled noise, he starting moving around which woke up James.

"What?" James asked blearily and nearly fell off the tiny bed.

The boys managed to turn around to see both the girls standing there in shocked silence. No one said anything for a moment until Nat threw her arms into the air.

"Couldn't you have kept your legs closed for one more week, Steve! I said you wouldn't fold until then!"

Steve just stared back like he had no idea what was going on.

"Seriously?" Amelia looked at him and he suddenly felt bad.

He knew Amelia liked James and they had been flirting since the day he arrived and now he felt like he'd cheated her by taking her crush.

"Amelia", he sat up, "I'm really sor-"

"Why didn't you quit being a baby a week ago!" She interrupted, making him even more confused. "I don't know why you had to pretend to hate each other to get to this point".

James smirked and elbowed Steve who flung his head down.

"Wait, you two weren't flirting?"

"We were just making you jealous", Amelia shrugged.