Mud fiasco

The full first day of summer was just starting and Steve was less excited for it than he thought he would be. But an overly flirtatious (and slightly rude) exchange student wasn't going to ruin it for him, so he got out of bed and got ready for the day.

He needed to get something from the shelf on the other side of James's bed and made no effort to be quiet or watch his step. He ended up kicking a shoe into the bed frame and looking noisily through the books.

"Mmmffrp", came a noise from behind him.

James was awake... sort of, and holding his head, trying to locate the source of the noise without actually opening his eyes.

"What time is it?" He asked.

"Seven thirty".

"In the morning?!"

"Obviously", Steve muttered.

"Why are you up so early?" James asked, still shocked at the time.

"This house gets up early, you should probably get use to it. After all, you'll be here all summer".

James huffed as he watched Steve leave. The Rogers household seemed mostly nice so he didn't want to sleep away the summer and be rude to the parents, but his head was hurting right now. And who the hell gets up this early? With another huff, he swings the blanket off and walks downstairs to find the whole family sat around the kitchen. Sitting on one of the stools by the worktop, he realises everyone else is already dressed for the day and he's sat there in his pyjamas. Mrs. Rogers seems to notice his apprehension and is quick to comment on it.

"Don't worry, this is your home this summer, wear what you want and you don't have to get up when we do either. We know we get up early but not every one does, and that's fine".

He smiles at her before glaring at Steve who smirks as he eats a mouthful of cereal. He didn't even have to be up yet, sitting in a strangers kitchen in his pyjamas with a headache. This is a great start.

"Would you like some cereal James?" Their father, Joseph asked him.

And he's already up, so why not.

"Please", he says with his strong accent.

James gets to eat a few mouthfuls in peace before Amelia skips over and leans forward with her hands on the counter in front of him.

"Wanna play later?" Is all she says.

Steve gives her a harsh whisper that he can't understand as he tries to figure out what she's saying.

"Play?" He asked.

"She meant play a game", Steve huffs.

"Oh", he grins his charming smile. "Of course, dorogaya (love)"

Steve rolls his eyes as he practically sees her fluttering her lashes and biting her lip. She puts her arms behind her back shyly and swivels on the spot as he smirks back at her. The tension makes him want to gag so he follows her to the fridge.

"What's wrong with you? You know he's probably an ass, right?"

"And what Steve?" She turns with fierce eyes. "I can look after myself, I'm only a year younger than you. If this is because you like him, them just say so and I'll back off".

"Wh- no, that's not what this is", Steve sighs.

She is only sixteen, however Amelia has always been smarter with people than Steve has. It would've been embarrassing when they were kids when it was always his younger sister dragging him across the playground and asking if people would be his friend. Luckily, if no one knew them, they would always assume Steve was younger.