Saying goodbyes

That night, Lord Elrond gave us all a 'send-off' party. I didn't understand one bit of it.
Was he happy that we were embarking on a dangerous quest that might take our lives? Or was it supposed to be a sad party with no music or dancing?

I entered the room quietly and unnoticed by hardly anyone. Everyone else was laughing and drinking themselves into tomorrow with a terrible hangover.

I wore a dress, against my will. Elrond's daughter, Arwen, had returned from Lóthlórien to live with her father. She was a dark-haired, beautiful young elf who obviously had given her heart to Aragorn. Anyway, Arwen had told me what to wear since I wasn't accustomed to parties anymore. I hadn't been in a dress since....well, for three years. I had always worn light trousers in order to battle easier.
Arwen had done my hair and reminded me on the manners of a party, like it would be useful in the future.

I paused at the party as Gandalf walked up to me.
"Katherine! You look beautiful, my dear." He said, giving the back of my hand a kiss.

Ugh, what I wouldn't give for my bow right now. Even the presence of it would ease the stares of the young men across the room.
I smiled politely at Gandalf, then moved to stand uncomfortably in a corner of the room and observe people quietly.

I saw Aragorn and Arwen sneak out of the room and into the night, where I assumed they would pledge their love for one another and say their goodbyes.
I saw Gimli getting hopelessly drunk with his kin. He would be a sight in the morning, grumbling before we even started.

I would normally be drinking and challenging any man to a contest, but tonight I had decided not to.

Someone else wasn't partaking in the festivities either.
Instead, they had decided to quietly watch a young blond-haired girl across the room.

'What is this feeling?' Legolas thought, as Katherine looked back at him from across the room.