Lothlórien

Gandalf had fallen. Literally.

The person to whom I had made my promise was now gone.
I had promised to him that I wouldn't let myself get focused on depression, that I would work my hardest to become a strong fighter.
Now he was gone. Who would I make a promise to now? What was holding me back now from falling back into silence?

I heard Frodo screaming as hard as he could.
His heart was breaking. I knew that sound. It was the same sound as my own heart breaking.
He and Gandalf must have been close.

Boromir, Legolas and Gimli took the hobbits up another staircase towards the exit that was so close.

I still stood staring at the spot where Gandalf had let go of the bridge.

Every time I cared for someone, they died.
The Fellowship would probably die if I cared for them.

I closed my eyes and resolved to not let anyone else get hurt.

I opened my eyes when I felt Aragorn jerking on my arm to go.
"Katherine!! Come on, it's not safe!!"
I blinked and looked around. More and more arrows were flying past us, barely missing us. I saw more goblins coming towards us from far off entrances.

I ran with Aragorn to catch up to the Fellowship.

Everyone came running out of the mountain onto a rocky slope.
We were now on the east side of the mountains, but at what cost?

The hobbits all sat down and began to grieve for their long-time friend.
Merry held Pippin in his lap as the smallest member of the company sobbed uncontrollably.
Sam just covered his face, hiding his tears.

Legolas was glaring at the ground in possible shock, he had probably known Gandalf the longest.

Boromir and Gimli grieved in their own way, holding onto each other as shudders wracked their bodies. Nobody but the hobbits would cry. We couldn't let the hobbits see us being weak. We had to be there for them now.
We had become family in the past months.

Frodo was wandering off slowly, blankly staring off into the distance.

I walked up to Aragorn, whose mind was whirling with decisions now that he was in charge.

"Where are we going now? We need to regain our strength." I said slowly, as if in pain.
My eyes stayed dry. I had no rush of tears yet. My adrenaline was still going strong and I knew I was going to break down soon.
I had to be alone.

Aragorn looked at me and knew what was going on with me.
"We will make for the forest of Lothlórien and hope to be there before nightfall." He said firmly.

"Do you want me to scout ahead?" I said, with my eyes looking at the ground.

His hand fell on my shoulder and I looked up.
"Yes, but meet up with us before we reach Lothlórien." He said understandingly.

I smiled a weak, small smile and jogged away across the rocky slope towards the distant golden glow of the famous forest.

I heard Aragorn calling everyone to get up and be ready to go. I saw Aragorn walk after Frodo.
They would take awhile.

I reached a small group of trees a couple of miles away from the mountain.

The tears finally came. I knew why they were there, and I knew it would be disrespectful to Gandalf if I didn't cry even a little bit.
But I was crying for so many other reasons that I collapsed on the ground for a few moments, clutching my sides as I cried.

After awhile, I got up, dried my eyes and went into my easy jog again.
It was oddly comforting to hear the familiar sound of my weapons jangling to the beat of my steps.
It was my job to make sure that there were no problems for the Fellowship's journey to Lothlórien.

I had never been the the legendary golden forest, but I had always wanted to. I loved to see beautiful places that were uncorrupted by evil things. Places that were pure and innocent and far away from the troubles of the world.

I reached the edge of the forest and stopped.
I loved the forest even though I had been raised in Rohan, which was made up of grassy plains and outcroppings of rocks.
It was so tempting to go into the forest and get lost in the beauty, but I had promised Aragorn that I would wait.

I leaned against a tree and closed my eyes to rest for the first time in what seemed like forever.

After about 10 minutes, I heard them all coming at a slow, but noisy, jog.

We entered the forest together, I walked in front of Gimli, but behind Legolas.

Gimli began to talk.
We were in dangerous territory.
We didn't know if the Lothlórien Elves would be friendly or hostile towards us, but Gimli was talking anyway.
I put my hand on 1 of my swords and walked on.

Gimli began coaching the hobbits again.
"Stay close, young hobbits. They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods. An Elf-Witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell. And are never seen again." Gimli spoke in a dramatic voice.
Oh please. He was just speaking of the Lady of Light, who was misjudged because she could talk inside your head.
Or so I had heard.

Gimli grimaced. "Well, here's one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox."

My eyes widened as I heard something.

I drew my sword at the same time that Legolas drew his bow.

We were completely surrounded by Elves.

Each one pointed an arrow at our heads.