✩ Prologue ✩

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆Authors note (11/13/23): Wow...Hey people...

⋆ This has been edited and slightly rewritten! A few minor tweaks for plot purposes but nothing major! It actually makes some fucking sense now!!!

⋆I apologize for my lack of attention towards this fanfic, (I haven't released a chapter since August😭) I have had a terrible writers block up until recently! Yay! I was able to finally finish re-editing this bitch so new chapters will be released shortly! May or may not have been working on them as I was editing tf out of this fic.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ Also, I wanted to thank you all for almost 2k reads! Its actually insane to me that a fanfic I wrote out of spite towards Fanon Ushijima is actually getting some traction😭 Very grateful to you all for reading and trusting the process💜

Grab some snacks and water and enjoy the new and improved Track Star!!!

┌─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┐

You and Ushijima Wakatoshi didn't know each other personally, but you knew of each other, being Shiratorizawa's star athletes and all.

The two just had a mutual respect towards one another, athlete to athlete.

The only time the two of you had any sort of an interaction was during Shiratorizawa's yearly award ceremony, in which both students won Athlete of the year for their specific genders, dedicated to their hard work towards their specific sports which happened to be Volleyball and Track.

No words were passed between the two student athletes, just a polite smile from Y/n and a nod from Ushijima as they received their consecutive medals.

That moment alone got pictured not only in the yearbook, but also draped proudly as a banner within the famous Shiratorizawa gymnasium.

Even with that sort of achievement, at the end of the day, Ushijima got more attention because the boys volleyball team was was Shiratorizawa's kryptonite, led by no other than their captain, Ushijima Wakatoshi.

"Hot volleyball men" they say, reasonable.

However, you didn't mind the lack of attention at all. You simply didn't care. You loved keeping to yourself. Plus, you didn't have to worry about a crazy ass fan base watching your every move...

That's not only fucking creepy to Y/n, but also an absolute invasion of privacy, she feels for the Volleyball boys in a sense.

The boys volleyball team has intense fangirls. Ushijima's specifically, are a force to be reckoned with.

When Y/n received her award alongside Ushijima, she felt so many eyes staring daggers at her.

What sad lives they're living to assume anything romantic from a nonverbal interaction.

But hilariously enough, during that moment, Y/n just smirks at them with a shit eating grin that screams "You wish that was you, huh?"

They were not happy with that one and luckily for Y/n, she didn't get berated by those ill creatures. She's a bit on the taller side being 5'8, not to mention the girls are all bark no bite.

Y/n is all bark and all bite when needed to be.

Needless to say, you honestly are that bitch even though haters do exist, you persist.

Y/n L/n is THE star mid-distance runner on The Shiritorizawa Girls Track and Field Team, let alone all of Japan. She excels in any distance between a 200 meter dash, to a whole mile. That versatility let alone is very rare.

It's "Extremely Valuable to the team!" as Y/n's old coach, Coach Akari ironically said.

She would be the captain of the girls track team solely based on her status in the high school track world and happened to be voted for Captain.

But, she declined.

Her best friend Mina is the right option for Captain, not Y/n.

Plus, why would someone that was given up on by the girls coach be the captain of the girls team? Not like the girls were aware though, minus Mina. So much for being so "valuable" huh?

The Shirtorizawa boys track coach, Coach Eiji, welcomed her with open arms seeing the type of position she was put in from Coach Akari.

She is still allowed to compete for the girls team, but she has a special exception from the hardships she faced from her previous coach.

As much as she didn't want to leave her teammates and her best friend behind, she now trains with people who can consistently keep up with her and are barely faster than her, it's all she has ever wanted.

Y/n always strives to become the best she could be.

That's both her rise and her downfall.

With Spring Nationals coming up for many, the boys volleyball team is training to practice their endurance with the boys track team, participating on their workouts with them and Y/n once a week.

After one Track workout, the volleyboys should be done with their practice but unfortunately, that is not the case.

Coach Washijō didn't even try to work around their grueling training regimen for a free day dedicated to just the track workout itself. Those workouts are anything but easy.

That sadist of a coach has them doing their usual training plus their daily 5k on top of working out with the track team every Wednesday. It's evil really. But many see it as their way towards success.

Y/n notices that the boys volleyball team are often pushed to their limits. It's like that old fart is trying to burn them out!

She's constantly seeing the boys on her runs also running, but way too fast for their own health as their demon of a coach is degrading them to go faster as if they're not already running for their damn lives.

She knows how it feels to be overworked, and to have high expectations on oneself, she understands.

They always end up making it to nationals but is this really the right way to go about things?

└─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┘

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆Authors note: This fic is heavily inspired by the way Ushijima is often written so fucking OOC it makes my brain actually hurt. Like genuinely wasn't planning on writing fan fiction but here I am!

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆⋆⋅☆⋅⋆⋆This fanfic deep dives into so many things that could be triggering for some! Warnings will be on each chapter that contain triggering situations, If you need any warning towards anything else you catch your eye on let me know and I will put it on the specific chapter it's in!

1,072 words