Chapter 12

Love and Heartbreak

(The song is happening while Mira is doing this ↓)

Mira coughs echo through the hallways of the church as she walks, trying to find her dad.
She sighs giving up when she runs into someone's back.
She quickly moves away, rubbing her nose as it throbbed from the impact.

"Mira? What are you still doing out? There's guards still patrolling around here." Her father tells her worriedly, quickly bringing her over to a secluded place.
"Sorry dad, it's just, I-I need to talk to you." She stuttered nervously, twirling a strand of her long ruby hair.
"Of course my child, what is it?"

Mira looks around nervously, trying to find the words to ask him. Suddenly her father puts a reassuring hand on her shoulder, giving it a squeeze. "I'm sure whatever it is, you can tell me. I'll support you no matter what." He smiles at her, Mira smiling back before taking a deep breath and letting it out.
"Okay. What if I said, I-I wanted to go to the court of Miracles? And stay there for a while." Mira told him, nervously twirling her braid as she waited for his answer.

"Then I'd say, go." Mira looked at him, her eyes wide as her father smiled at her lovingly.
"B-but what about you? I would be leaving you here all alone, a-and-" The Deacon pulled her into a loving embrace causing Mira to go stiff. "I'd rather you be somewhere else and safe than you staying here and constantly hiding in fear."
Tears gathered in Mira's eyes, hugging her father back tightly.
"I promise I'll visit." Mira mumbled before pulling away.
Her father smiled, bringing his hands up and wiping the year from her eyes "I know."

All of a sudden the door next to them opened, causing the Deacon to put Mira behind him Incase it was a guard.
Esmeraldo quickly came in through the door, Demica following close behind with an injured Phoebus in her arms.
"Mira!" Esmeraldo sighed in relief, seeing her here and okay.
"Esmeraldo? Damica? What happened? Why is Phoebus here?" Mira questioned as she came out from behind her father, quickly going over to them.

Esmeraldo grabbed her hands tightly in his, her warmth seeping into his cold damp skin.
"I'll explain later, but for now Phoebus needs our help." Mira nods, a determined expression coming on to her face.
"Alright, c'mon! Let's go to Quasi's room. No one will look there."
Esmeraldo goes over to help Damica carry Phoebus, following after Mira.

"Quasi? Quasimodo?"
Damica asked as she opened the door, panic clear in her voice.
"Damica?" Quasi quickly rushes over excitedly towards the door.
"Damica, you're all right! I knew you'd come back!"
He rushes over and hugs her tightly in relief.
She hugs him back smiling at Quasi before pulling back, her hands still in Quasi's.
"You've done so much for me already, my friend. But I must ask your help one more time." Damica tells him as she pulls him closer to the door.

"Yes, anything." Quasi tells her eagerly with a smile, before frowning as he watches her go over to the door where Mira and Esmeraldo held an injured Phoebus. "This is Phoebus. He's wounded and a fugitive like us. He can't go in much longer. I knew he'd be safe here." Damica explains to him, not noticing Quasi's heartbroken expression.

"Please, can you hide him?" Damica walks desperately.
Quasi motions them up the stairs "this way."

They quickly follow, Phoebus's feet dragging on the floor. They reach the top and Quasi motions them to a bed, quickly they let him on it.
Esmeraldo and Mira move back, talking to each other in hush tones.
Damica hovers over Phoebus as he groans
"Oh, Damica." Damica shushes him.
"Shh-h-h. You'll hide here until you're strong enough to move." She then brings up a corked bottle of alcohol, uncorking it as Phoebus raises a brow with a smile.
"Great. I could use a drink." Damica rolls her eyes before pouring it onto the wound.