Chapter 18

"February is the time that you put the
evil eye and the pride aside
For the fantasy of gettin' married,
very scary"

────────────

The next day had come and gone, and I think Myles could tell I was upset at someone, so when he crawled into bed that night and I was already asleep he had many questions the next morning. I answered all of them to the best ability with only some lying, saying that I just had an argument with my father for reasons that don't matter. He dropped the subject after tears started to well up in my eyes and he cooked me a perfect breakfast.

It was now Tuesday and everyone from A shift only had a 24-hour shift and then we were off for 3 days meaning tomorrow night was dinner with Tk and Carlos and then Thursday night was maybe dinner with the team plus mom and maybe Carlos and Myles.

The team, like every morning was sitting in the kitchen waiting for the alarm to go off. I did not want to be here, but you don't get to call in sick a lot as a firefighter. I walked into the kitchen with my jacket slung around my left shoulder and my purse around my right shoulder with my phone in the same hand. My mood instantly dropped lower as walked through the entryway simply because I knew I was gonna have to face my Dad today.

I walked into the kitchen and straight to the fridge.

"Morning" I mumbled to everyone in the kitchen.

I slipped my lunch into a slot and grab the creamer from the pocket to make coffee.

"So Raya, did you figure it out with your Dad?" Mateo asks as I grab a mug from the cabinet.

"Uh yeah, we talked." I put the mug under the espresso machine and click the button but nothing works. I press it again, and again until I lose my patience and start banging on the side of it.

"Oh, my god. Work." I press the button again but it still doesn't work.

"What the hell is this shit? Why isn't it working?" I turn around to get Mateos attention to try and help me but the whole team is already staring at me. "Mateo, can you help me? Please?" I ask in a begging tone. He walks over to the thing and looks at it.

"Oh, well, you have to turn it on first." I look over to the switch that is flipped into the off position and nod my head.

"Thanks" Mateo walks away and nods his head. I flip the switch to the on position but the espresso turns on a shoots foam all over me and my uniform. I jump back and close my eyes letting the foam jump on my face. The switch is flipped off by Mateo who ran quickly back to help.

I take a few deep breaths cause I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes and my jaw starts to tremble. Why is this day going so bad already?

I grab the towel that Tk is holding out to me and I wipe my face down and then move to my uniform. I smiled at Mateo and Tk to tell them that I'm good and I turn back around and put the mug in the sink and the creamer back in the fridge.

As I'm doing that I hear footsteps descending from the stairs and then into the kitchen.

"Everyone I have an announcement, Gywn wants to have dinner with everyone at our house tomorrow night at 6 okay? Don't be late. Grace and Charles are invited as well." I take a deep breath in a turn to give my Captain my respect.

"Cap, what's she cooking?" Marjan asks.

"I'm not completely sure, probably pasta. Or something easy."

The team all complies with my dad's request but I. I'm still standing behind the bar staring at him. He turns to make his way back upstairs but stops when he sees me staring at him.