4-N: Trade Deal with Ohts (Vampire 5)

Vampire 5:

John: "Sigh, what is the Ohts Kingdom thinking?

These trade restrictions are going to be worse for them than for us in Keren County."

My new father complained out loud while we were going home from Ohts in a carriage escorted by a bunch of guards.

He went there to discuss trading between Keren County and them, as from what I understand, our place is the main hub for interacting with countries outside Sariella.

And by extension, Ohts being the country that borders Keren County, we have to go through them to trade with any countries beyond them.

Seras: "Considering how little time it took, I take it weren't even able to meet with the king?"

My mother came along with me hoping to do some sightseeing, but our visit was cut short as we had to leave far sooner than expected.

John: "No, they said he was too busy every time I tried to bring it up."

Seras: "And from what I managed to overhear going around the city, it seems like they are going to restrict merchants travelling into and out of Ohts.

So it's not just us."

I will be honest, my new mother had always given me the impression that she was a bit of an airhead.

Spending most of her time just playing with me.

But now it's clear that she is actually competent, gathering information while under the pretence of sightseeing.

John: "It's all way too sudden.

What could have caused it?"

Seras: "It may have something to do with recent troubles in the Great Elroe Labyrinth.

Some strangely powerful Monsters have escaped the labyrinth, and even brought down the fortress guarding the entrance managed by Ohts if the rumours are to be believed."

John: "Hm, I suppose that would explain it.

Including the seeming secrecy, they are probably trying to hide the incident from the rest of the world.

Still, the sudden loss of Everfruit import is going to cause issues among the top restaurants."

Seras: "It's gonna hurt, but no point crying over spilled milk.

We just have to accept it and move on to other cuisines to enjoy.

Who knows, maybe the Energy Syrup of our Keren County will catch on.

We certainly don't have to worry about dealing with Ohts to distribute them around Sariella."

John: "Heh, maybe, thanks."

My new mother is surprisingly wise at times, dragging people out of their downer mood by lightening things up for them.

But seriously though, am I gonna have to deal with all this crap once I grow up?

Just thinking about it gives me a headache.

Politics, economics, military, and what have you.

Ugh, if only things can stay like this forever.

Then suddenly the whole carriage shook.

What's happening!? Are we in danger!?

And I started crying.

Seras: "There, there.

That was a scary bump, wasn't it?"

My new mother pats and reassures me.

Just a bump?

Merazophis: "Sorry about that."

Merazophis, who was driving the carriage, apologies.

Seras: "It's not scary anymore.

It's okay, don't worry."

Yeah, it was just a stupid bump in the road.

And it was enough to make me cry.

Gosh, I am so embarrassed.

It didn't take long for me to stop crying once I realised what happened.

Seras: "See, you're fine, aren't you.

What a good girl."

At least they haven't figured out that I actually remember my past life, and thus should be acting way more mature than this.