Probably surprise was written all over my face because the girl's gaze changed. She smiled faintly.

"With Hunter," she leaned towards me as if she was about to reveal a great secret. Which was quite strange because it was just a silly argument. "The two are best friends since... well, forever. Total opposites, yet they always stick together. Both super hot, popular, wealthy, and involved in the team. But Derek isn't such a jerk," she nodded, agreeing with herself. "Usually, he smooths things over when Hunter gets himself into trouble. And Hunter always stands up for Derek. Once, he supposedly beat up someone in elementary school because that guy made fun of him. And then Derek had to explain what happened," she paused briefly. "They behave similarly in school. And every girl swoons over them..." She stopped, a slight blush creeping onto her cheeks. I struggled to hold back the smile that was pressing against my lips. Bingo. "Of course, not me," she leaned back and laughed, though not convincingly. "I'm not that dumb. When it comes to Hunter, he probably had every..." She shook her head as if she really disliked that thought. "But Derek is different. True, he's been seen with some girls, but never from our school. He only goes to parties because of Hunter. Or at least that's what I've heard. And I've talked to him once! He has more to offer than any boy from our school, and his grades are pretty good too," she gazed somewhere behind me. "Not only handsome but also smart. He's really great, but..." She caught my gaze and blushed again. "Never mind."

But he wasn't her type, I added in my thoughts. I had the impression that while describing the virtues of this "amazing" Derek, she was trying to convince herself that he was indeed the better choice.

"But getting back to their argument," I said quickly. On the one hand, because the girl was genuinely embarrassed, and on the other hand, the boy's merits didn't interest me much. I wasn't here to find a husband candidate who had more to offer, but rather to quickly return to my life and end the game called 'Alex - a normal teenager.' "Do you know anything else?" I asked, quietly hoping that she did know something. Perhaps this pair was the key to my success? If they were popular, it was possible that they had heard something.

She sighed loudly, and my hope vanished as quickly as it had come.

Beautiful, I thought ironically, even before the girl said anything.

"Not really. No one knows what's going on with Derek, and Hunter is silent. A few days ago, Derek was late for class and had to go to the principal's office. No one has seen him since. There was probably some argument between them at the party the day before," she said, tapping her fingernail on the table. "I heard that Hunter and Derek went somewhere, which made Sophie really angry."

And once again, another person I had no idea about. Or rather, I had a vague idea because the only thing I remembered about a girl with that name was that she was in the same class as Mia, came from wealthy parents, and was blonde. Besides that, she shared a lot about her personal life on the internet, where she was quite well-known. But she owed that status to her father, who owned a large and famous company.

"Oh, sorry," the girl across from me spoke up. "I forget that you have no clue about all this school drama," she laughed softly. "Sophie is Hunter's ex-girlfriend. He broke up with her about three months ago, and since then, the girl practically throws herself at Derek whenever she gets a chance. But it's not working for her. It's very possible that something happened between the three of them at the party, and then the boys had the argument."

An argument over a girl.

If not for the circumstances, I would have found it quite amusing.

But now, I was only annoyed that I had nothing substantial, except for a little love triangle drama.

I sighed.

"So, basically, nothing important..." I muttered to myself.

"But enough about these boring things!" The girl's expression changed, and her gaze sharpened as if she had come alive. "Who are you?"

Electric TruthOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara