5 ALEX

Hope you like it ! ^^

Sitting in Uncle's office, I looked at him, then at Brandon. I was at a loss for words. For the first time in a long time, I didn't know what to say or how to react. Over the past half hour, during which Uncle explained my next mission, I sat and listened, and with each passing minute, my disbelief grew.

It had been three days since my last mission. I knew it was a significant amount of time given to me to rest and a small voice inside me thought it wasn't normal. Sure, I was delighted like a child to finally have a break without doing anything particular, but I wondered when I had last received so much free time. Especially since I didn't even have to attend training sessions. That was something highly unusual.

But now I was starting to understand. It wasn't a time for me to rest, at least not entirely. It was their time to figure out how to deliver information to me about the next mission. Those bastards, I thought, feeling disbelief receding to the background and anger rising. And though I didn't want to admit it, a tiny glimmer of hope, which I had long discarded, began to take hold of my body. Deep inside, I felt the power starting to grow, but I quickly suppressed it. I didn't need it for now.

"Have you all gone mad?" That was all I managed to squeeze out. Anger was evident in my voice, but I couldn't go too far. After all, it was Uncle and Brandon. The only people who were somewhat close to my heart, and on top of that, Uncle was also my boss.

It wasn't the first time I expressed my dissatisfaction with one of the missions. There had been times before when something didn't sit right with me, but it always ended with me completing them. But now? For the first time, I genuinely contemplated refusing. To defy the orders and simply not carry them out.

"Nothing of the sort has happened, Alex, I can assure you of that," Uncle replied, casting a reproachful look in my direction, a look I had become accustomed to. Before I could say anything, he continued, "You are the only one I trust enough to entrust this task to. If it weren't you, I would have to send Brandon, but he has other matters to attend to..." As he spoke the last sentence, I thought I caught a strange gleam in his eyes, as if what he said wasn't entirely true. However, the gleam was too brief for me to start wondering if he was indeed lying. "That's why you have no choice, and your objections won't accomplish anything."

He was well aware that I was already concocting a plan to wriggle out of this madness.

"And what does the Council have to say about it? I can perfectly imagine their delighted faces when they learned about this crazy idea", I said with a sarcastic tone. Brandon, who was sitting next to me and had remained silent the whole time, tensed his muscles.

Everyone knew that despite my loyalty to Uncle and my long-standing, well-executed work, no one trusted me. Especially not the Council. No one had any idea of what I was, and what I was capable of, so even the slightest slip-up or mistake wouldn't end well for me.

"You don't need to worry about that", it was the only response I could get.

I looked at the man sitting across from me, and I clenched my fists, making sure not to accidentally hit anything. How did it come to this? How the hell did I find myself in this place?

If I had received this proposal a few years ago, I would have jumped with joy. But now I couldn't. I didn't know why, but the mere thought made me nauseous. Maybe it was because the hope that was growing inside me didn't herald anything good. Deep down, I felt how much I could regret it later, and I was afraid of what I might do if I ever tasted the freedom I had longed for.

It's much easier to let go of something you never had.

I was supposed to leave. Not for a few days to quickly deal with a nuisance, but maybe even for several weeks. Who knows? The situation was as follows: there was something going on in the small town I was supposed to go to. The problem was that no one knew exactly what. That was what I was supposed to find out. All we had were two bodies, which definitely didn't die of natural causes. Especially if we mention the missing parts of their brains.