chapter 2

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

I RAN INTO THE town centre, it was filled with balloons, food stands, confetti blowers, trumpets, fire crackers, and many more new years festivities.

New year's day was one of the most hectic days in the society, the streets were filled with lots of people, kids running around, people throwing confetti, and families spending time with each other.

I watch as a little girl goes to one of the food stands and buys candy floss from the weird looking clown— she gasps before snatching the candy and running back to her mother and hugging her tightly.

I let out a soft chuckle as I watched the scene in front of me. It reminded me of the days when I didn't have to worry about getting married and when I'd celebrate my birthday in peace.

A tear escapes my eye without realising, I sniffle and wipe the lone tear before walking my way through the crowd. Aleia was here somewhere, she'd always spend her time here with her brother and father on new year's day, and by the time evening comes, they'd spend time with me for my birthday with food they bought from the food stands.

I inhale the scent of food and candy mixed together, a very weird but surprisingly good smell. My stomach grumbled at the sight of the food and I let out a small whimper before looking at my hand— I dropped my reticule.

Okay.

I let a sigh out of frustration before scratching my scalp, this day was really bothering me.

After 10 minutes of walking through the crowds of people and many different costumes scaring the living life out of me, I saw Aleia in front of a food stand shoving food down her brother's throat and laughing.

I choke on my own laughter before containing myself by putting my hand over my mouth while watching Gabriel shove food inside her mouth.

I make my way towards them and not even a few seconds later, Aleia notices me behind Gabriel as her eyes go wide and she runs towards me, "Navea!" she squeals, her voice muffled because of the food in her mouth.

"Don't shove food in my mouth," I protest while laughing and pushing her away softly.

Her brows furrow while trying to chew the food in her mouth and I watched as she struggled to swallow the food down, she starts doing random hand movements as if she was fanning herself. Gabriel starts walking towards us with his mouth also filled with food, his brows knotted together while watching Aleia swallow the food down as if she was choking.

Aleia starts tapping her chest for air and Gabriel and I quickly move and pat her back as hard as we can, "Aleia? ...Aleia!" I shout while patting her back.

She starts making choking sounds and Gabriel spits out his food, "Putain," he curses while Aleia looks like she's struggling to breathe, "Do something!" I shout as I start patting her back harder and harder but it didn't seem to be working.