Aki x Reader

Thanks @MichiTactico2 for the request!
———

I never thought the day would come when I carried a lighter in my pocket with a few spare cigarettes. I wasn't necessarily a smoker but I wanted to be the one Aki turned to when he needed a light or a pick me up when he ran out of his own drugs. I wanted his eyes to look to me like I was the solution to his greatest problem. Yes, it was practically daydreaming and maybe even a bit concerning to let myself imagine but I loved feeling like his lifeline in his own chaotic world. He sure was one in mine.

I was leaning on the railing on his balcony now as I stared out at the city skyline, watching the early morning light wash everything in a gray light from the sun still under the horizon. When I breathed out, the chill of the air turned my breath to beautiful wisps. I tried to rub the sleep from my eyes, yawning as I heard the door slide open. My gaze turned to see who was joining me, really hoping it wasn't Power trying to bother me again. When I looked though, I couldn't help smiling softly.

"Good morning Aki," I whispered. His eyes lifted to mine as he gave me a small nod, clearly exhausted from the dark circles under his eyes. He sat himself in one of the chairs, his hands seeming to move on their own as he grabbed the cigarette on the table and lit it without a word. I felt mesmerized as I watched him tilt his head back and blow out the smoke with a sigh.

"Long night?" I whispered, not wanting to disturb him but still wanting to make sure he was alright. He took a long moment to just take drags of his cigarette, puffing out the smoke until his eyes once again shifted to look at me. I felt a slight shiver go down my spine with the darkness of his eyes. They really were pretty and with his unkempt hair, I felt weak to him.

"You have no idea," he muttered before closing his eyes and laying his head back on the chair. He let out a groan as one of his hands rubbed the bridge of his nose in exhaustion. "Try having a sleepwalking Denji walk into your room every goddamn five minutes or a hungry Power looking for food," he grumbled. I couldn't help laughing softly as I shook my head at the thought. Aki glanced at me with a tired frown as I tried to stifle my laughter.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry," I giggled a bit, my hand covering my mouth to muffle the sound. Aki took a puff of his cigarette with a shake of his head, though I didn't miss the small smile on his lips as he did so. "It's just cute how they look up to you. How we all look up to you," I shrugged, looking back out over the skyline. I heard shifting behind me before Aki was standing by my side, snuffing out his cigarette on the rail that he was leaning on.

"I'm not sure I'm someone they should look up to...or anyone else," he whispered, glancing at me before looking out at the city below us. I looked at him with a warm smile, taking a chance and bumping my shoulder with his gently.

"Well some of us beg to differ," I smiled at him. His shoulders seemed to relax as he leaned against the railing. "Why would you think you aren't someone we should look up to?" I asked gently. He shrugged, tossing the cigarette into the ashtray behind us as he looked at me intently.

"It's not like I've done much to deserve it." Aki was getting that look in his eyes that I've come to recognize. It was the same one he held at night when he smoked alone, looking up at the stars as if he was lost. I carefully placed my hand on his arm in comfort, looking him in the eye.

"You're a great guy. When it comes down to it, that's all that matters," I whispered. He looked at me with slightly widened eyes, his expression slightly surprised it seemed. "Trust me. You're someone worth admiring."

A cool breeze carried off the sudden silence as I moved my hand off his arm, slightly worried that I crossed an imaginary line. I turned my attention to the sky as I hoped my panic wasn't clear on my face. Moments drifted by as I started to suspect I messed up and went too far when Aki cleared his throat.

"Thank you y/n," he mumbled. When my gaze shifted to glance at him, I found his eyes already trained on me as I felt my face grow warm. It was nothing. A look and some words, nothing more but my heartbeat started to race as I smiled. He mimicked the movement, his small grin alight and making me feel bubbly and warm. Aki stretched his arms above his head with another yawn, breaking the tension as he leaned off the railing.

"I've got to go meet up with Himeno," he stated, his usual serious and apathetic demeanor slipping back into place far too soon as I frowned, looking away. I should've known this little moment wouldn't last forever. It was stupid to try to trick myself into thinking otherwise.

"Well I hope you have fun," I whispered. Aki paused, his gaze burning into the back of my head as I stayed looking at the beautiful city below. I heard Aki shuffle closer, about to turn to see if he forgot something when I felt him press a kiss to my cheek. My head spun as I looked at him in shock and embarrassment, my fingers moving to touch where he had kissed as my face burned.

"What was that?" I whispered in a panic, my hand trembling slightly as I looked at him with wide eyes. He shrugged, smiling softly as he backed up to move back into the apartment.

"I'll see you at dinner y/n." And with that he left. He left me confused and flustered. He left me holding my face as if I didn't recognize my skin anymore. He left me with a wide smile and the hope of something between us and I would grasp onto that small light burning in me and carry it as far as I could. If only he will let me.