"I'm certain. I...I was there, with them during...during it."

Tommy heard her make a noise that could express nothing other than disbelief and contempt. "I'm sorry," he said again. "I wouldn't have done it if I knew."

Evie slammed the phone back onto the wall. She stood there, feeling angry, heartbroken, and embarrassed, all at the same time. But strangely, there was also an underlying sense of closure. It was weaker than the pain, but it was slightly comforting to know that she now had a valid excuse to hate Nikki. It was one thing to let an addiction become a dealbreaker, but in the end, he was a victim of the drugs too. There was no excuse, though, for having a foursome with one of her friends and two random women just because he was angry at her.

Mick slowly walked down the stairs. He already knew why Evie was sitting at the dining table with her head in her hands. He always tried to respect Evie's privacy, but when he heard her crying into the phone, he couldn't resist listening in from the receiver upstairs. He thought it was Nikki who had called, but the information Tommy revealed turned out to be way more valuable than Mick could have hoped for.

He put his hand on Evie's shoulder. She lifted her head. "Nikki cheated," she said.

Mick only nodded. They both sat there for a while, not saying a word, until Evie's tear reserves dried up.

"Do you know where he is?" Mick finally asked.

"Nikki?" She choked up at saying his name again. "No. Probably still in that filthy apartment."

"Do you want him out of the house?"

Evie looked at her father. "Out, like, kick him out? He can't live here anymore?"

"If you want me to kick him out, I will."

Evie thought for a moment. Nikki would end up at either the apartment, on the streets, or, it made her chest tighten to think of this, but he might go live with some woman. None of those were a safe way to live, and Nikki's drug problem would surely spiral out of control if no one was there to hold him accountable. Evie didn't know if he even had enough money to buy food.

But if he stayed living there, Evie would have to face him everyday. She would have to see him and think about all the good times she had with him. All the fun nights they spent together, all the times they made love, and all the things she envisioned for their future. And she would have to be reminded over and over again that those were gone.

"I don't know," Evie responded. "I...I'd like to talk to him before we make any decisions."

"No, Evie." Mick knew the bastard would come crawling back on his knees, begging for her forgiveness. In this state, she would surely take him back, and he would continue to take her for a ride until he got bored again and broke her heart for a second time. "Don't let him talk to you. Don't let him try to convince you that last night was just a mistake and that it 'will never happen again.' I don't want you to see him for at least a few weeks."

"How am I not supposed to see him if he lives here?"

"That's why I'm thinking we get rid of him. You can go out with a friend or something today, and I can have his shit out of here by the time you get back."

Evie's head and heart both throbbed at the idea. She still couldn't believe that her and Nikki were actually over, and Mick wanted him to be gone from their house in a couple of hours?

"But even if he doesn't live here, he's still in your band," she pleaded with him.

Mick put his hand on her shoulder and prepared himself for her answer to his next question. "Can you live with that? Can you live with us being in a band together?"