⁵⁰. 𝑀𝑖𝑑𝑛𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑠

Start from the beginning

"Can't sleep?"

The sound of her voice made him jump in surprise, which made him drop the metal wrench that he had in his hands. The wrench clattered in the ground loudly, and (Y/N) was pretty sure that the sound woke up the entire facility in one try.

"What are you doing here?" was the first thing Tony asked, leaning down to grab the wrench again and proceed with whatever he was doing.

"Can ask you the same."

He exhaled a long breath, and his shoulders dropped in exhaustion. "Had a nightmare. Didn't want to wake you."

(Y/N)'s eyes softened at his words and pressed her lips in a thin line. She forgot that she wasn't the only one in the house with nightly terrors, but she take them all if it meant that Tony could have a good night's sleep for once.

"Want to talk about it?" she asked carefully, taking slow steps toward where he was standing.

He didn't even move from his position. His hands had stopped moving, and (Y/N) could now see with clearer eyes that he was fixing an old suit of his, tinkering with what he wanted fixed. Tony brushed a bead of sweat from his forehead, and reached out for (Y/N) once he heard her footsteps had gotten close enough to him.

(Y/N) wrapped her arms around Tony's middle from the side, enveloping him in a side hug. His muscles immediately relaxed under her fingertips, and he placed his own arm around her shoulders to pull her even closer.

"Not really," he finally confessed. He cleared his throat, still not used to show this amount of vulnerability with someone.

(Y/N) didn't press on the matter and instead hummed in reply. They both stayed in silence for a few minutes, enjoying the comfort of each other without having to say a single word. Both of them had their demons, but at the end of the day, they had each other to hold onto during their toughest moments.

"What were you doing?" she broke the silence again, her eyes on the dismembered suit on the table.

"Oh, just tinkering here and there," he was startled by her forward interest. "Just seeing what I can fix or improve on the new suit."

"New suit? What is this? Mark 80?"

He scoffed in offense. "No! I haven't even decided on the name yet."

(Y/N) gave him a knowing look, since she was sure that he in fact had thought of a name for the suit. She didn't pry on the subject after that, and instead decided to change the subject.

"Can I help?"

Tony turned his face to look at her incredulously. It was the first time she had offered to do something like this, yet he couldn't describe or pinpoint why he was thrilled when she asked.

"S. . .Sure!" he stumbled on his words, and didn't know how he got so nervous out of the blue.

(Y/N) removed her arms from Tony's middle and instead placed herself in front of him. Her back was pressed to his chest, and she slightly jumped when her arm grazed the cold metal from his arc reactor. With a newly gained confidence, (Y/N) grabbed the wrench that Tony handed her and frowned in concentration.

"Ever done this before, Vaughn?"

She shook her head. "No, but there's a first time for everything, right?"