⁴⁸. 𝐹𝑖𝑛𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑆𝑜𝑙𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛𝑠

Start from the beginning

"138," he blurted out. "138 combat missions. That's how many I've flown, guys. Every one of them could've been my last, but I flew them. Because the fight needed to be fought. It's the same with these Accords. I signed because it was the right thing to do."

(Y/N) lowered her head in shame because of his words. She didn't know how to express how sorry she was about this happening, but what she did know is that she'd never run out of words to say.

"And yeah, this sucks. This is, uh. . .This is a bad beat," Rhodey continued, looking up at Tony. "But it hasn't changed my mind. I don't think."

He was able to offer a half smile. Tony, again, extended his hand for him to take. This time, Rhodey didn't argue against him and allowed him to pull him up. He grunted with the effort it took him, but caught his breath. (Y/N) stood up as well and rubbed his back in an attempt to soothe him and his rapid heartbeat.

"You good?" she questioned, and he nodded in response.

A repetitive knock on the gymnasium's window pulled their attention away from each other, and the three turned around to see who was making the noise. An elderly FedEx worker was enthusiastically knocking and waving on the door before he realized their attention was now on him. He was holding a medium delivery box in his bony hands, eager to deliver it.

"Are you Tony — " he paused to read the package. "Stank?"

(Y/N) couldn't stop the snort that came out of her mouth at the man's words. Rhodey had the same thought as her, since he removed his hand from Tony's shoulder to point toward the man, amusement behind his eyes.

"Yes, this is Tony Stank. You're in the right place," at his friend's antics, Tony was only able to shake his head. "Thank you for that!"

He turned to face (Y/N). "Never let me forget that, please."

"Oh, you can so count on it."

Rhodey winked at her as an appreciation gesture, letting out a chuckle before he turned back around in the direction of the path with the metal handles on the side. "'Table for one, Mr. Stank. Please, by the bathroom.'"

This time, Tony wasn't able to contain his own laughter. The sound of it made (Y/N) smile too, only if she only heard it for a small second. Not wanting to keep the FedEx worked out there for too long, Tony accepted the package, doubtful of who had sent it to him.

(Y/N) wanted to see what was inside too, but was interrupted as she followed after Tony to his office by an unexpected phone call. When she pulled out her cellphone to check the caller's ID, she almost let out an audible groan by knowing who it was. Who knew what lengths she'd have to go through to get this annoying man out of her back.

She knew he'd get desperate if she didn't answer, so she plastered a fake smile even though he couldn't see it and a fake enthusiastic tone. "Secretary Ross! What a surprise."

"You can cut the act, Vaughn," Secretary Ross's irritating voice rang on her ear. "Your time is up."

"Whatever do you mean?" (Y/N) faked offense, shifting her weight from foot to foot. "You'll have to give me more time. You're sounding a bit desperate."

"I'm desperate?" Secretary Ross asked with an incredulous tone. "You're the one doing a terrible attempt in saving yourself from being locked up with the rest of your criminal friends."