"What is this?" She asked, looking into it.

Tommy leaned down and sniffed it. "Vodka, I think. I can get you something else if you don't like it."

Slowly, Evie took a sip, the first time she ever drank anything stronger than beer. She recoiled at the way it burned her throat.

"You don't like it?"

"No, no," Evie said. "It tastes fine, just not used to the sensation."

"Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen you drink."

"You haven't," she said, taking another sip. "Just never saw the appeal of it."

"You're really not meant for Nikki."

Tommy could tell that that last comment saddened her. She looked away from him with a frown.

"Come on." He put his hand on her shoulder. "I didn't mean that. Well, I guess, yeah...Nikki likes to drink and you don't, so it would be weird, but..." His sentence trailed off.

"No, it's okay, Tommy. You're right." Her voice had a hint of sadness, but it was mostly resigned. Evie looked over at Nikki and, for the first time since she had wandered off, they made eye contact. He looked from her to Tommy, then turned his attention back to the guy who was speaking to him.

"But don't worry about it," Tommy continued. "You're beautiful, and there's plenty of other fish in the sea. You'll find someone way better than Nikki."

Evie smiled up at him. "You think so?"

"Yeah, I mean, Nikki's attractive and in a band and everything, but he's kind of an idiot and, between you and me, his hygiene is kinda lacking."

"I've noticed," Evie laughed. She had turned to face him now, so she was unable to see that Nikki was giving them quick, fiery glances while he waited for the little punk who was never gonna make it to shut up and go away.

"Yeah," Tommy said, unable to remember if he had ever made Evie laugh before. "And you, you're smart, and you shower regularly, and you've got this pretty hair and nice eyes. Plenty of guys would be happy to be with you."

Tommy's fingers in Evie's beautiful curls was the thing that sent Nikki over the edge. He shoved the kid he was talking to out of his way and marched over to Tommy and Evie.

"Fuck off, Tommy," Nikki said, grabbing Evie's arm and pulling her away.

"Nikki!" Evie was pissed. She was having a perfectly nice conversation with her friend. She didn't need her coked up boyfriend to show up and act like a possessive teenage boy.

"What is wrong with you?" She asked him when he finally let go of her arm. He had dragged her to the hallway that led to his former bedroom.

"Was he hitting on you?" Nikki was furious, and Evie could tell right away what was going on: the drugs had made him paranoid.

"No, Nikki, he wasn't hitting on me. We were just talking."

"He touched your hair!"

"I know, I know, but it didn't mean anything. Tommy's your friend. He wouldn't do that to you." The amount of anger in Nikki's eyes was starting to scare Evie.

"That fucking asshole, I'll beat his ass." Nikki wasn't even listening to her.

"No, Nikki. Just calm down."

"Don't fucking tell me to calm down."

He made a move to go find Tommy, but she grabbed his hand and pulled him back.