Down at the Whisky

Start from the beginning

Mick slowly walked over to the basement door. He could see underneath the door that the lights were off. He reluctantly put his ear against it, afraid of what he might hear. There was only silence. Mick placed his hand on the doorknob and kept it there for a while, really not wanting to twist it. He told himself to suck it up and turned it steadily.

He descended the first three steps very carefully, unable to remember if any of the steps creaked. When only the lower half of his body was visible to whoever could be watching him from the basement, he leaned down. It took a few moments for his eyes to adjust to the darkness, but then he saw all he needed to see: long wavy hair laid out over a pale naked back, being held in place by a tattooed arm.

Mick shook his head, headed back up the stairs, and gently shut the door again. He sat down on the couch in the living room,  elbows on his knees and hands over his eyes. To an outside observer, it would look like he was crying. But he wasn't. Had Vince never told him Nikki and Evie were hooking up, he probably would have cried, but he had already begun to accept that it was happening, even if he didn't fully believe it. Now that he had first hand evidence, he was considering how what he just saw changed everything.

Over the course of the workday, Evie had forgotten about the fact that Mick may have found out about her clandestine relationship. However, once she got home and saw Nikki sitting on the living room couch, reading a book, all the memories from the previous night came back to her.

She could feel herself blushing and becoming aroused, then got a sudden weakness in her knees when she remembered their carelessness.

Luckily, her father was at a doctor's appointment, so she was free to talk to Nikki about it. The first thing she said was, "did my dad talk to you?"

"About what?"

"About if he knows?"

"If he knows about what?"

Evie did her best to stay calm. "About our relationship. Don't you remember? I fell asleep with you last night."

"Oh," Nikki said. "No. He didn't say anything about it."

"That's good," Evie responded, trying to convince herself that it was all okay. "But he wasn't acting weirdly or being meaner to you, or anything?"

"No. Mick was actually in a pretty good mood today."

She could tell by his smile that there was something she didn't know.

"Why?"

"I dunno. Maybe because the first fifty copies of the Live Wire single were printed up today. And they'll be sold at our show on Friday."

"That's great!" Evie hugged and kissed him. "Congratulations."

"That means you have to come to the show. We're gonna be announcing it and we got some new stunts we're gonna try out."

"Of course I'll be there."

_______

Friday, June 30, 1981

Just like before, Evie arrived at the Whisky A Go-Go early, securing her spot in the front row. When the band came on stage, they played two songs before settling the crowd down enough for Vince to talk.

In his usual drawn out, valley girl manner, he announced to the crowd that a limited number of copies of the next song they were going to play, Live Wire, would be available for purchase at the merch stand after the show.

The crowd went wild, and Mick smiled at his daughter. He already knew what he was going to do with the money from the album sales: he would finally buy his princess a car. Evie smiled back at her dad, then turned her attention to her boyfriend.