Apocalypse Radio, 1995

[Signal Received]

'Kay, should be on now, if I've done this right.

[Clears throat]

Um, hello to any survivors that happen to be listening. My name is Edmund Howler, and I've managed to take back one of the radio studios. Somehow the towers are still working, if you can hear this.

[Distant banging]

Must've missed a few. Guess I'll have to go through and do some cleanup later.

[Exhale]

Y'know, it's incredible really. We've managed to survive this madness for nearly two years, somehow. Things won't ever be normal again, but maybe there's hope if we've made it this long.

[...]

God, it's weird talking to something that carries your voice all over, but can't talk back. How did all those newscasters do this...

[...]

This is stupid.

-

[Distant cursing]

[Distant impact]

[Distant cursing]

[Distant impact]

[Distant impact]

[Distant impact]

[Distant cursing]

-

[Muffled thud]

[Chair creaks]

[Heavy breathing]

Well, I, uh... won't have to play the long game anymore, at least.

[...]

One of those damn fleshbags got a lucky bite off. Right in the shoulder.

[...]

The bleeding's stopped, but... Damn.

[...]

I guess it really was just a matter of time.

-

I can feel the nausea already.

[...]

It's... odd, knowing that your death is only a few short days away. It's almost... surreal, I guess. Death as a concept is something we're all familiar with, yet it doesn't feel real until its cloak is looming over you, and it's staring you down with that cold skeletal gaze, scythe in hand.

[...]

Really... begs the question, 'what happens when you die?'

[...]

At least I won't have to wonder for long.

-

They're calling to me. I can hear them in the silence, the other infected.

They're waiting for me to join them, the satisfaction ever sweeter because I evaded their rotting grasp for so long.

[...]

I'm not going to give them that satisfaction. I'm going to go out on my own terms.

[...]

There was a bar, just down the street. I remember frequenting it with some buddies of mine, before everything went to hell.

[...]

I've got a lighter here with me, and access to a big ol' speaker system. Maybe I can find Grandpa's shotgun too.

[...]

I'm going to die anyway. I might as well take some risks to try and help you other survivors. If you don't hear from me within a few days... I've probably, uh, 'failed.'

[...]

Well, no time like the ever-dwindling present, yeah?

-

[Coughing]

I... I did it... I got the alcohol.

[Heavy breathing]

That's... that's half of it done...

[Heavy breathing]

How... well does... my hair burn...?

[Lighter clicks]

[Heavy breathing]

Fairly well... eh, not like I'll miss it... even if there is an afterlife...

-

[Coughing]

Ugh... being infected sucks... don't recommend...

[Weak chuckle]

[Coughing]

[Heavy breathing]

The mollies... are made. I... I got Gramps' shotty, and... I just need to...

[Coughing]

...get the speakers working... ow...

[Heavy breathing]

[Microphone shrieks]

[Echoing] OI FLESHBAGS...! COME AND GET ME...!

[Coughing]

[Heavy breathing]

...Ow... just... gotta do that... a few more times...

-

...Ugh... I'm so... tired...

[Heavy breathing]

...Just wanna sleep... but I won't... wake up if I do...

[Heavy breathing]

...I think... it's time... to make Gramps proud...

[Heavy breathing]

...Two years... I've survived this hell... and now I'm coming home...

[Coughing]

...Ugh... if anyone's... listening... don't give up hope...

[Heavy breathing]

...Because if you have hope... then you have a reason... and a reason... brings a will...

[Coughing]

...And where there's a will... there's a way...

[Distant undead noises]

...Take back the land... from their rotten hands... that... is your purpose...

[Coughing]

[Shotgun loads]

...I'm on my last legs... this is my final stand...

...To whoever's listening... burn a few of the bastards for me, yeah?

...Make wherever you've set up base safe... and start thinking about having kids... before it's too late... if you can.

[Weak chuckle]

[Coughing]

Welp, time to embrace human nature... Goodbye, survivors... and may your remaining days... be plentiful... and worth living...

[Staggering footsteps]

[Distant shouting]

[Undead howls]

[Distant glass shattering]

[Undead howls]

[Gunfire]

[Fleshy explosion]

[Static]

[Signal Lost]