Part 18

Bright was in his office, unable to get Gulf off his mind no matter what he did.

"Fuck!" Bright threw his whiskey glass in frustration.

Leaning back in his chair, Bright was lost in his thoughts when Dew entered his office.

"Boss," Dew bowed respectfully.

"What?" Bright replied, his mood sour.

"I heard that the boy is still at the café. With your command, we can attack the place and bring the boy to you," Dew explained.

Upon hearing the mention of the café, Bright's mind immediately turned to its owner. It had been a week since he had last seen Gulf, and the longing for the beautiful man was becoming unbearable.

"Okay," Bright nodded, giving his permission.

"Then, I will gather our people," Dew bowed and prepared to leave.

"Wait," Bright suddenly spoke up. Dew turned around, seeing Bright lost in deep thought.

"I'm coming," Bright said, standing up.

Dew was surprised to see that Bright wanted to go along, considering the number of works they had to settle. But if he voiced his concerns, he was likely to get shot in the head. Lately, Bright's mood had become somber, and it was genuinely frightening.

"Boss, it seems like the last customer has left," Dew commented. Bright nodded, signaling them to proceed with their task.

However, before Dew's people could reach the café, they noticed three individuals entering at the last minute. Dew instructed his team to hold back until the customers left.

Bright was in the car outside the café, wishing he could go in and catch a glimpse of the face that had been haunting his dreams. But he couldn't bring himself to act forcefully, not when it came to Gulf. Every time he saw Gulf, he couldn't help but soften. Bright let out a sigh. He couldn't stay there too long, or his heart would ache again.

"Dew, I'll be leaving first. Take care of everything," Bright said. Dew bowed and exited the car. Just as the car began to move, a gunshot rang out from the café.

Bright's eyes widened, and he turned his gaze toward the café. All he could think about was Gulf.

"Gulf!" Bright exclaimed, rushing towards the café.

"Boss!" Dew followed Bright into the café.

"Gulf!" Bright yelled as he entered. He first noticed two people on the ground and another person holding a gun. Then, in slow motion, he saw Gulf lying on the floor, with Win holding onto him.

"Gulf!" Bright hurried to Gulf's side, observing the paleness of his face and the pain etched onto his expression. Dew was behind Bright.

"Bright?... H-How?" Gulf weakly uttered. He felt incredibly weak.

Bright's eyes scanned Gulf's body, and he saw red when he noticed the blood oozing from Gulf's chest.

"Who are you?!" Mark retorted.

Bright stood up, clenching his fists. He walked towards Mark and grabbed the wrist holding the gun before forcefully breaking it.

"ARGH!" Mark yelled, dropping the gun from his grip.

Mark fell to the floor, but Bright wasn't done yet. He continued to pummel Mark relentlessly.

"Boss!" Dew was shocked at the scene.

It was well-known that a mafia boss would never engage in a barehanded attack, as their hands were vital to the organization.

"Bright..." Gulf weakly called out, watching as Bright unleashed his fury upon Mark.

Dew yelled to stop his boss from potentially killing the man. They had no idea whether he was a local or not.

"Boss! Stop it!" Dew shouted, but his voice failed to reach Bright. In a panic, Dew saw Gulf lying on the floor and becoming weaker.

"Boss! We have to get him to the hospital now, or Gulf will die!" Dew yelled, desperately hoping to get through to his boss.

Hearing Gulf's name snapped Bright back to reality. He stopped and saw Mark's distorted face. The other two men were frozen in place, witnessing their comrade being relentlessly beaten and potentially dead.

Bright turned his attention back to Gulf.

"Gulf..." Bright called out slowly.

"Bright..." Gulf weakly replied.

"Hang in there. I'll take you to the hospital," Bright said, picking up Gulf in a bridal style and carrying him to his car.

"Bright... I'm sleepy," Gulf whispered, his face resting against Bright's chest.

"No, no... You have to stay awake, Gulf," Bright pleaded, cupping Gulf's cheek.

"Bright... About that day," Gulf weakly apologized.

"We can talk about that later so please... stay awake for me..." Bright's voice cracked, tears welling up in his eyes.

"I'm sorry... I can't..." Gulf whispered, his eyes slowly closing.

"No, no... Gulf, please... I can't lose you," Bright pleaded, desperately hoping that Gulf would survive. He drove as fast as he could to the hospital.

"DOCTOR!" Bright yelled as he arrived. The doctor came running and swiftly took Gulf into the operating room.

Bright paced back and forth outside the room, covered in blood, his hands and shirt stained. A few meters away, Dew and Win watched. Dew was astonished by the range of emotions displayed by his boss in a single night. Dew finally realized why his Boss kept delaying the plan for taking the boy.

An hour passed, feeling like an eternity for Bright. He didn't care about the blood staining him. When the doctor finally emerged, Bright rushed over.

"Doctor, how is he?" Bright asked, his voice filled with worry.

"He was in critical condition, but he survived. The bullet grazed his heart, fortunately. However, he lost a lot of blood, so his recovery may take some time," the doctor explained. Tears filled Bright's eyes upon hearing that Gulf would be okay.

"Thank you, doctor... thank you so much," Bright said, shaking the doctor's hand gratefully.

Dew was shocked once again. He had never heard those words come out of Bright's mouth since ten years ago when he saved Bright from a fire.

Bright cleaned himself up before going to see Gulf. He had requested that Gulf be transferred to a private room. Stepping inside, he saw Gulf hooked up to an oxygen supply, looking frail and weak. Bright sat down on a chair and took hold of Gulf's hand.

"I'm sorry... If only I had been there, this wouldn't have happened," Bright whispered.

TBC