Chapter 3: The Misty Mountains Cold.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Balin asked.

"Aye. Envoys from all Seven Kingdoms." Thorin answered.

"And what did the Dwarves of the Iron Hill say? Is Dain with us?" Dwalin asked.

"They will not come." Thorin answered as the Dwarves all looked very disappointed. "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone."

"That's not helpful." Neville commented.

"So where is Erebor anyway?" Hermione asked trying to acknowledge the elephant in the room.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light." Gandalf requested.

Bilbo then rushed out to find some more light. Once he left, Gandalf took out a map. "Far to the east, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak." Gandalf said as he placed the map on the table.  

"Lumos." Harry casted his wand, right as Bilbo brought a candle.

"The Lonely Mountain." Hermione said as she read the inscription.

"Aye, Oin has read the portents, and the portents say: it's time." Gloin commented. 

"Portents?" Harry asked. 

"Something that foreshadows a coming event, Harry." Hermione clarified. 

"Right. Thanks." Harry thanked. 

"Ravens have been seen flying back to the Mountain as it was foretold. When the birds of the old return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end." Oin explained. 

"You mean that Dragon, Smaug?" Ron asked.

"That would be correct." Bofur answered. "Smaug the terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. And for good reason. Airborne fire breather, teeth like razors, claws like meat hooks, extremely fond of precious metals." 

"We know what a Dragon is, Bofur." Hermione said. "We have plenty of them back home."

"But they're a lot smaller than the ones here." Ron pointed out.

"I'm not afraid." Ori declared. "I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of the Dwarfish Iron right up his Jacky!" 

Dori pulled him back down in his chair. "Sit down!" 

"The task would be difficult enough with an army behind us, but we number just 13, and not 13 of the best, nor brightest." Balin retorted.

"Hey! Who are you calling dim?" Ori inquired.

"Well, if you include 6 Witches and Wizards. You'd have 19." Harry said.

"And Hermione is the smartest of our age." Ron added. 

"We may be few in number. But we're fighters, all of us! To the last Dwarf!" Fili exclaimed. 

"And you forget that we have a 7th Wizard in our company, Gandalf will have killed hundreds of Dragons in his time." Kili added.

"Oh, well. No, uh, I wouldn't say. "Gandalf started to deny.

"How many then?" Dori asked.

"What?" Gandalf asked.

"Well, how many dragons have you killed?" Dori corrected. "Go on, give us a number!" 

The Dwarves all began talking over each other again. This time in anger. 

"Well I once outran a Hungarian Horntail as part of the First Task in the Triwizard Tournament." Harry said. 

"Well, technically the Horntail stayed where it was." Luna clarified.