~6~ Interrogation

~ How it feels so real, lying here with no one near ~

Kate's POV:

NYC, United States 11/18/2014

Kate had felt her leave, had heard the steps, the door, had felt the cool spot where her body once clung to her own, but she had kept her eyes closed. Now, that time had slowly passed she felt the building, the floors above and underneath her come to life. Her bones ached and her head buzzed from the light concussion she suffered from yesterday's fall. She wished to get up, to walk around, just to stimulate her mind, but she couldn't move. She was exhausted even though she slept through most of the night. Trying to lift her hand to press the help button she fought against what felt like the bundled force of gravity. She stopped when she recognized a strange sensation. One she hadn't felt in a long time. A body that was clearly different from every other human, though not quite the same as she remembered. Modified and strong. An intense organism one might call superhuman. And it wasn't alone.

_________________________________________

Natasha's POV:

Natasha hid her sweaty palms in her jacket's pockets, walking alongside Tony and Steve. Tony was discussing some kind of upgrade to the shield with Steve, while he reminded him to stay focused. She left their bickering uncommented as always. Her opinion wouldn't change what Steve or Tony would say, do, or think. Not in those matters anyway. She might need a veto vote for later.

Nat laid eyes on the woman in her cell and cleared her throat. "So, what now?"
Her question was directed at Steve, who had called for them to meet her together, knowing that Natasha had had the pleasure already. "We wait until she wakes up", he answered, his attention still partially on Tony's offer.
"You've got to be kidding me! I'll wake her up myself.", Tony exclaimed, waltzing towards the operation panel. His hand was caught midair by the assassin's smaller one before he could touch it.
"She already is.", she explained pointing at her with emphasis their eyes following the direction of her finger. Pallid eyes stared at Nat then at Tony's Green Day t-shirt. Natasha frowned noticing that something wasn't right. She held against Tony's second try to reach the panel then turned to Steve, still holding onto his wrist.
"I think she needs a doctor." Her tone was serious and demanding. Steve nodded and walked towards the doctor's break room. Natasha let go of his hand but not before locking eyes with him and warning. "You will wait until she is better. Then we will talk to her."
Tony massaged his wrist and looked back at her. "What is it with you and her? Is your own guilt so traumatic that you'll jump in front of every criminal, defending them?", he hissed at her, and she hissed right back at him.
"You don't get to invalidate my judgment or question my morality! You are the one who keeps creating his own enemies."

"My only enemy right now sits behind that glass, and I will not go easy on her just to make you feel better!" He pointed where she did earlier. Their voices gained volume. What was once whispered, was now spoken.

"You are not god, Tony. You don't get to decide whose mistakes can be forgiven and whose cannot!" The anger inside her rose, but her voice sunk to an intimidating growl. Leaving Tony to swallow. Before he could reply, Steve stepped between the two, separating them, while a doctor stepped inside the cell. Natasha quickly slipped past the boiling billionaire and into the cell.

"Someone has to look out.", Natasha justified, then the door closed.

She stood off to the side, keeping her distance from the doctor and patient. From Kate. She knew the two men were listening from outside. Jarvis was set up to provide audio and visual contents of the cell to the Avengers. They hadn't activated the functions after Natasha had reported that the chimera was unable to speak and walk, but this morning they decided to turn it on.