6 - The Cupcake Bash

⤷ 🧁 ----- CH. SIX
THE CUPCAKE BASH

I DON'T THINK I'M OVER HIM

I DON'T THINK I'M OVER HIM. The words replayed in her head like an endless loop as her hands steadied in concentration to ice this last batch of cupcakes. The piping bag circled, leaving a beautiful swirl of blue cardamom cream, and Kate thought she might explode if she thought anymore about what happened last week.

The Cupcake Bash was finally upon them, and she'd spent all day prepping, baking, and decorating. All the while, she couldn't get Jamie fucking Tartt out of her head.

"What color's your dress?" was how he greeted her when he called soon after she had left that fateful day. He sounded nervous, sort of fidgety, like he was trying and failing to cover it up.

She was confused. "Wh—are we not going to talk about—"

He interrupted hurriedly. "If I'm your plus on, we got to match, don't we? So what color's your dress?"

"Blue."

They didn't speak about . . . the happening—the almost kiss and the flirting and the jealousy. And she was grateful that they could afford to act like nothing had happened (despite how a small part of her ached at the idea of their something being nothing).

I don't think I'm over him . . . there was that too. The brief but ground-shattering confession she'd made to Darcy. Looking back on it now, her heart blossomed with embarrassment, but she hated that it was true.

She hated that she wasn't over him. She never was. Everyone always told her, 'you never forget your first love' and that 'there's a part of that person that will always stay with you.' But Darcy was fine after Calum and Evan was fine after Yvonne. So what was it about her and Jamie that made this so difficult?

Why was it that she felt so pathetically for him?

Kate gripped her piping bag a little tighter and huffed when the swirl became an ugly splotch. She felt a lot like the glob staring back at her, but she didn't have any time to dwell on her wallowing as the doors to the venue's kitchen swung open revealing a properly pampered Darcy.

She wore a floor length black dress that hugged her in all the right places, paired nicely with a pair of pumps that gave her an extra three inches.

Darcy plucked the cupcake with botched frosting, taking a much needed bite. "Did Jamie say when he's coming?"

She shrugged. "He's got a match today, so he said he might be running a bit behind."