4 - A New Normal

⤷ 🧁 ----- CH. FOUR
A NEW NORMAL

IT WAS STRANGE how easily they fell into a rhythm

IT WAS STRANGE how easily they fell into a rhythm. It was like how things used to be (but she wouldn't allow herself the full reprieve of that reality). As the weeks passed, Jamie's visits became another fixture in her schedule, and Kate had grown used to having him around again.

"I'm serious. We had to—hey, I said I'm not sharing, you gremlin," Jamie said, dodging Kate's spoon as they walked the night streets of Notting Hill together. "We had to get a new mascot because of Dani."

Four long hours of taste testing recipes had proven too much for the both of them, so Jamie had whisked them away from the shop for a mid-evening ice cream run. He'd gotten the last scoop of mint chocolate chip. It wasn't her favorite like it was Jamie's, but she'd had the strongest craving for it lately.

"Poor Dani. I bet he felt terrible. He sounds very sweet, though." Kate finally gave up and settled on sinking her spoon into her raspberry sorbet.

"He's alright," Jamie said, taking her cup from her before she could take her first bite and handing her the mint chocolate chip instead. His hand brushed across her in the process, leaving warmth in its trail. "I'm better."

But it also felt like a dangerous game they were playing. The brief touches, the quiet moments shared between them, and the lingering glances they both pretended not to notice from each other.

Kate could only nod, tasting a small spoonful of the mint chocolate treat. She didn't know what else to say and looked away as Jamie let out a soft laugh.

"You should come visit one day," he said. "I know you're busy planning for Evan's big gala or whatever, but everyone's excited to meet you at Nelson Road. And Ted keeps mentioning something about Americans."

"The Cupcake Bash, which if you've forgotten, you're invited to too. Evan said I have a plus one," Kate said.

It was a gala, but more specifically, it was a charity event Evan's filthy rich family used to host annually and that Evan decided to continue hosting here in England. It was a hub for wealthy people in the area. And there was a different theme every year, but regardless of what it was, the Cupcake Bash had one steady rule—desserts were the main course.

This year, Evan had asked Kate to cater the entire thing after his usual caterer was apparently stranded in Italy, which meant Kate and Jamie were working over time to perfect new recipes. She wanted to debut as many as she could in three weeks at the event.

Jamie shrugged. "I don't think it's really my thing."

She knew what he really meant even though he didn't say it aloud.