|80| The irrational

Start from the beginning

The first thing to come out is a brand new packet of cigarettes, malboro's to be exact, and the second is his wallet. I check the other pocket but there's nothing except some loose coins so I move back to the wallet. Opening it up as if expecting to find some answers I just find all his cards, some cash, and an ultrasound... an ultrasound of Danielle's and Matteo's baby.

I can't help but smile at the thought of him keeping it in his wallet to always have it with him and after a while of just staring in awe at the small baby, its little feet and button nose I finally put it back on its place.

Then I remember that usually his important stuff is on his suit jacket so I take a look around to try and find it. I quickly notice it laying on the floor at the side and I take it, if my suspicions are correct and he is using this is probably where he will keep it, I never go through his stuff, or at least I didn't until now.

The inside pocket is the one I look through first and that's apparently where he keeps his phone. I take it out and even if I didn't mean to look through it the screen lights up due to the movement and I can't help but notice the picture he has as a background.

A picture of me.

One I didn't even know existed meaning that he must have taken it without me noticing and it would make sense because in it I'm not looking at the camera, I'm looking at the sunset, pointing at something in the distance. This had to be from those times we used to have dinner on the rooftop. Back when everything was okay when we were just a nurse and patient trying to figure out our feelings for one another...

"Mia?" Carlos' sleepy voice calling for me makes me snap away from my thoughts. I put the phone back into his pocket and stand up, taking his clothes.

"Hey, sorry. Did I wake you?" I ask folding his clothes in the air and walking to the armchair to set them there while looking back at him laying on the bed. The only thing covering his naked body being the small decorative blanket.

"No, don't worry." He slowly studies me, his eyes going up and down my body. "Are you okay, your eyes look a little red?" He asks suddenly, stopping at my eyes and sensing something is definitely wrong.

"I'm fine, I promise. Probably just puffy from sleeping." I lie, hiding like the coward I am.

And for a second he seems like he is going to call on my bullshit but then he just sits up, fixing the blanket so it doesn't slide off his body.

"I'm sorry, for what I did. And for asking you to have sex with me when I should have explained where I went and what I did." His sudden confession surprises me, I expected he would also try to hide.

"It's okay, we both needed something to disconnect, might have not been the healthiest way but yeah..." I don't really know what to say, my head keeps going back to the way he was acting just a few hours ago.

"Are you sure you are okay? If you have questions, just ask, I will explain everything." He looks to the side searching for his prosthetic.

And as he slowly puts it on I think if I should ask him the big question or not. The last time I did I just made everything worse... but if he is using again I need to know so I can help him.

"Did you... yesterday did you take hmm-"

Any drugs. Just say it, Mia.

"Did I take what?" He asks a little confused but I can't figure out if he is honestly not understanding or he is just trying to hide.

"Your anti-inflammatories, your leg looks a little swollen." Fucking coward.

"Actually no I didn't, they are in my bag in the bathroom. Could you bring me some while I get dressed?" He gives me a small smile.