chapter 15 - ...the voice of my conscience screams at me to stop...

chapter 15 - the voice of my conscience screams at me to stop

(Poppy's P.O.V.)

---

"You know, Poppy, I realized something about you," Flynn says as he sits down next to me, draping his arm over the back of my chair lazily.

I smile, trying to hide a blush, "What?"

He leans in and whispers into my ear, "You're cute when you're focused."

Oh God, my heart. I swear it just faltered for that moment.

"Is that so?" I whisper, "You're not too bad yourself."

He chuckles, his arm moving from my chair to my shoulders, "Seems like you need some help concentrating, I'll be more than happy to do that for you."

The person sitting opposite to me slams his book down onto the table, "Jeez, get a room."

I blush furiously in embarrassment, while Flynn asks curiously, "Who are you? Haven't seen you around before."

The brown-haired, blue-eyed guy grins, "Ian. I'm new."

"Hi," I smile, "I am weeks new here. I'm Poppy and this is Flynn."

Ian laughs, "Great, I feel less awkward."

Flynn suddenly plays with my hair, "Nice meeting you, Ian. Anyways, aren't you running late for class? I'll walk you there," He looks at me. Somehow it sounds more mandatory than inviting.

"You jealous, Greyson?" I smirk playfully.

"What if I am?" He says, his eyes staring straight into mine, the corners of his lips curling up mischievously.

My heart pounds in my chest, making my thorax feel a thousand times tighter. "Well," I play along, "Then my work here is done."

"Flynn and Poppy sitting in a tree, K-I-S-" Ian sings, averting his eyes.

"Shut up!" I laugh, "Okay, we're out of here."

Flynn gives Ian a dismissive nod - who gives us a wave - then takes my hand, leading me to the entrance of the library.

I feel his strong fingers and instantly get the same sense of security that I have developed whenever I am touching Flynn.

He looks happy enough until he bumps into someone.

Fate and coincidence. The ultimate pair.

The guy with blonde hair and blue eyes standing in front of us obviously shocks Flynn. He stands there, frozen on spot. They both glared viciously at each other.

"Um," I speak up uncomfortably after a few seconds of unbearable silence, "Is everything okay?"

Flynn clears his throat, "What are you doing here, Winchester?"

Winchester? As in Cale Winchester? The guy who Flynn's ex-girlfriend cheated on with?

The other boy replies icily, "I study here."

"You are aware that I am in this school, aren't you? And she is, too." Oh, so he is in fact, Cale.

"Yes," Cale answers, "And I am now in this school. Whatever I do is none of your business, and vice versa."

"Does that include sleeping with my girlfriend?" Flynn snarls.

Cale narrows his eyes, "If only she isn't the one initiating it because her boyfriend is too boring."

I grab Flynn's arm before the punch lands on Cale's face. Flynn swings his head and glares at me, "What - "

"You don't want to do it here," I mutter, sounding surprisingly despite my shock. Their exchange has already gathered a crowd of onlookers.

"Fine," Flynn relaxes, "But we're not done here, Winchester, just like I wasn't done beating the shît out of you two months ago." The venom in his voice scares me a little, it shows a side of Flynn that I have not yet come to see. Not to mention the attempted punch, it freaks me out a bit because it reminds me of the man in the alley.

Cale sneers, "I don't care, Greyson. Do whatever you want. I made a mistake, I apologized, and if you are still not over it - it's your problem."

His words make sense, but honestly, cheating is a serious matter.

Then it hit me that I am just as bad.

Scott is still my boyfriend, but now here I am, falling for Flynn, flirting with him and holding hands with him. Aren't I just as bad? But Flynn knows I have a boyfriend, I told him before. Then why is he encouraging our relationship?

"Until next time, Winchester," Flynn gives him a ferocious warning glare then leaves hurriedly, gripping ever so tightly around my hand.

When we exit the library, the first thing Flynn says is, "I'm sorry."

He looks a little panicked, "I'm sorry, Poppy. I shouldn't have been violent. I just...The cheating hit me hard and I don't deal well with pain - " I cannot bear the sight of Flynn looking helpless.

"Hey," I touch his face, "It's okay. I understand. Honestly, that side of you did shock me but hey, everybody needs to lash out sometimes."

Flynn smiles back slowly, his hands resting on the sides of my face, "Do you always know the right words to say, Miss Turner?"

I shrug, smiling coyly, "I try."

He hesitates a little, then edges his head closer to mine. My heartbeat skips when his lips hover over mine. I can smell citrus and mint. Oh my God. Flynn's hands reach down and take their position on my waist. Holy turquoise leprechauns.

My thoughts protests loudly in my head and the voice of my conscience screams at me to stop.

Before his lips touch mine, I draw back, "Wait."

Flynn looks genuinely hurt. "What is it?"

Okay, time to confess everything.

"There's something you need to know."

---