XIII. ONE LAST TIME

HARD DECKa top gun: maverick fanfiction

HARD DECK
a top gun: maverick fanfiction

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: ONE LAST TIME

Summer was relaxing on her back porch, a book in her lap and a glass of lemonade in her hand. Golden hour flowed over southern California, casting warm yellow shadows over her backyard.

The pilots were set to leave in two days' time, and Rooster had been avoiding her since their argument in her office, five days beforehand. She didn't blame him, and she knew she was at fault, but that didn't help it from hurting. She'd done what she had to do, and it would be better for the both of them in the long run. She just hoped he'd eventually see that, too.

She heard a car pull into her driveway, a peculiar notion, as people rarely came to visit her. Her mother still lived in Oklahoma, and she always met Joey and Thomas at one of their houses, or at the bar. For a split second, her heart raced as she imagined it might be Rooster.

Then she realized that was a crazy thought. He didn't have her address, and he wasn't speaking to her.

She stood slowly and made her way back into the house and to the front door. Just as she was attempting to stealthily look out her front window, there was a loud knock on the door.

"Summer, open up!"

Summer relaxed as she recognized the voice, and she moved to unlock the door. "Joey? Is everything okay?"

"No, it's not!" Joey replied, pushing past Summer into the house. Summer studied her friend's face carefully, seeing that their eyes were red and their cheeks were tear-stained. Joey's shoulders shook as they let out a sob.

"Oh my God, Joe, what's wrong?" Summer said, ushering her friend to the couch.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Joey asked, glaring at Summer through teary eyes.

"What?"

"Why didn't you tell me about the mission? About Natasha?"

Oh.