XI. GOOD INTENTIONS

HARD DECKa top gun: maverick fanfiction

HARD DECK
a top gun: maverick fanfiction

CHAPTER ELEVEN: GOOD INTENTIONS

"This round is on me!"

Bradley approached the bar, ordering another round of beers for the pilots. He leaned against the wooden surface, sticky with spilled drinks, absentmindedly listening to the conversations around him.

"That's what Summer told me, anyway..."

He glanced over at the pair next to him, recognizing them both almost instantly as Dr. Hackett's friends. He couldn't remember their names, but he was certain it was the two friends she was frequently at the bar with.

He wondered if Dr. Hackett was at the bar with them, and then a voice in the back of his mind told him that he shouldn't bother wondering if she was at the bar, because it was clear she wasn't into him.

Well, that wasn't true -- nothing about that woman was clear to Rooster in any shape or form. What was clear was the fact that even if she was interested in him, she absolutely would not be acting on it under any circumstances.

He'd taken her up in a jet, for God's sakes. If she was going to act on it, that would have been the time to do so.

"Here are your beers, Rooster."

"Thanks, Penny." Bradley grabbed the glasses from the bar owner, carefully wrapping his hands around the drinks so that he would be able to carry them all without spilling.

He turned around, ready to head back to the other pilots, when he noticed the bathroom door open, and out walked Dr. Hackett.

His stomach did an embarrassing little cartwheel and his hands almost immediately became clammy. He tightened his grip on the beer glasses and walked quickly over to the other pilots so he wouldn't drop them.

Bradley dropped the beers off with the others before making a beeline towards the bathroom, where Dr. Hackett had stopped to tie her shoe. By the time she stood up again, Bradley was in front of her, two beers in his hand.

"Doc." He nodded a greeting, holding out one of the beers.

She took it, a smirk sliding onto her lips. "Lieutenant."

A tipsy grin filled Bradley's face, mirroring the one on Dr. Hackett's.

"Can I buy you a drink, Doc?"