IX. THE GODFATHER

HARD DECKa top gun: maverick fanfiction

HARD DECK
a top gun: maverick fanfiction

CHAPTER NINE: THE GODFATHER

Bradley felt like shit.

Summer Hackett was wreaking havoc on him.

That was why he'd gotten to base two hours early, because he knew Dr. Hackett would be in her office, using the silent time before her staff came in to catch up on paperwork like she did every day. He wanted to apologize for acting like a fool, even though she was being difficult, and it was driving him crazy. If she really wasn't into him, that was fine. He could handle rejection. Not that he liked to admit it, but he'd been rejected enough times to know how to move on.

But he couldn't move on from Summer Hackett. He couldn't.

There was something there. There was something tangible between them. A line, a connection, a feeling. He felt it, and he was almost positive Summer did, too.

However, he couldn't exactly argue with her reasoning. It was sound. Why should she bother going on a date with a guy like him? Hopefully, he was about to embark on a dangerous mission that everyone seemed to think was a death sentence. He didn't blame Summer for not wanting to get attached.

"Bradshaw. You're here early."

Pete Mitchell was Bradley's godfather. He was his father's best friend. He was the only semblance of a paternal figure Bradley had known.

Yet the sight of him made Bradley want to punch him in the face.

He turned around, coming face-to-face with Maverick, who was watching him curiously, arms crossed over his chest.

"I've got some things I need to do," Bradley mumbled, turning away from Pete.

"Listen, can we talk for a second?" Maverick said, taking a step towards him.

Bradley gritted his teeth, his fists clenching. "LIke I said, Captain, I have some things to do." He took a step towards the door.

"You wouldn't walk away from a superior, would you?" Maverick asked.

"Is that really the move you're going to pull right now?" Bradley asked, not bothering to look back at Maverick.

The older man let out a dejected sigh. "No. I'll see you at 0600 sharp, Lieutenant."

"Captain." Bradley nodded and sidestepped him, heading down the hallway and towards the med bay.

The lights were on as he approached the area, putting a little spring in Bradley's step. He was right. Dr. Hackett always got to base ungodly early, and she was there again today.