Chapter Fourteen

Time is an illusion to Ebony, as every tribute makes a run for it. Either they are running towards the cornucopia or out of the bloodbath that is going to happen in a matter of seconds. Anxiety spikes within her, as she sprints to the best of her abilities toward the cornucopia. The snow is holding every tribute back in their attempts to run. Some tributes run for the backpacks and survival gear, while other tributes run to grab the closest weapons.

Reaching the cornucopia, Ebony barely manages to snatch the backpack away from the female tribute from District Seven, before spotting the whip hanging on the weapon display. She goes to grab it, until a knife slices through her coat and nicks her skin. Though not enough to be serious.

The young girl shoots her head to see Phoenix with a gruesome grin. Blood spattered on her face, as she goes to charge at her with the other dagger in her hand. Ebony quickly grabs the blood-covered knife, picks it up, and throws the blade at the girl from District Twelve. It hits Phoenix in the forehead, causing her to collapse to the snowy ground.

Ebony runs over to the dying girl to grab the knife from her hand, leaving the knife she had thrown in her head. This time, the young girl is successful in grabbing the whip, before running out of the cornucopia and toward the barren woods.

Racing through the forest, Ebony keeps running, until she can't anymore. Taking in deep breaths, she leans up against a nearby tree. After a few seconds, she hears twigs snap from behind her. Snapping her head around, the girl rushes off in the other direction, quickly finding a sunken area to hide in. Sneaking down to the hiding spot as quietly as possible, she hears laughter accompanying the sound of someone coming.

"Did you see her face before I killed her?" Ebony hears the District Two female tribute Alexandra boast. "She was like 'Please don't kill me!' It was hilarious."

Ebony prays that they do not see the footprints that lead to her hiding spot as they walk by.

"I know right!" another voice responds. It sounds like Woveena, but the young girl can't be sure. "And that guy from District Six was so pathetic. How he scored a seven I'll never know."

"Now, I just wanna find Ebony." Ronan remarks. "The sooner that little bitch is dead, the better."

"I actually kind of like her... Even if she was really annoying." Atlanta joins in. "How her score is better than ours, I'll never know though."

"Let's just find the others. The sooner they're out, the better." Fletcher mutters, groaning at the four.

The laughter begins to fade away, giving Ebony some sense of relief for just a moment. She goes to leave her hiding spot until something pulls her back down by her leg. Ebony almost lets out a scream, before a hand covers her mouth.

"Shh, it's just me, One." The all-familiar voice quietly reassures. Once calm, Ebony turns to see Samuel kneeling down on the ground with her. He removes his hands, as she lets out a relieved sigh.

"What are you doing here?" she questions, trying to be as quiet as possible. "Aren't you supposed to be with your other allies?"

"Well, Alexandra already made sure that wasn't going to happen." he responds, glancing around to make sure no one is coming. Further down the woods, Samuel spots the career pack entering a cave for warmth.

"The coast is clear, so we're safe to go." he informs the girl, standing from his spot. Holding his hand out to her, the male tribute grabs onto his survival supplies and sword. Leaning on him to stand up, Ebony retrieves her items, before following after him. At least with Samuel by her side, she has a good chance of surviving.

"What made you wanna find me? And not kill me upon finding me?" Ebony quietly asks, trying to process the events of the bloodbath and her unexpected reunion with Samuel.

"Well, I trust you better than anyone else here." he remarks. "Besides, you're the only career not in the pack who's been to the Academy. I have a better chance with you just like you do with me. We're stuck together, One."