Chapter Three

After being ushered into the town car, Ebony lets out a shaky breath, crossing her hands together in her lap. Twiddling her thumbs to keep herself distracted, the girl begins drifting off into space. She doesn't realize that they've arrived at the train until Vera gently taps on her shoulder.

"Ebony, sweetheart." the escort calls out to the girl, hoping to grab her attention. "We're here."

Climbing out of the vehicle, the trio make their way to the train, while armed peacekeepers surround them to prevent an escape. Gulping in fear at the sight, Ebony rushes after Vera and Slate.

As the door shuts behind them, the three enter the dining car of the train. Sitting at the table are two individuals helping themselves to the large assortment of food available.

"And you two couldn't have waited for us?" Vera questions with a raised eyebrow and hands on her hips.

"We were hungry." the man answers, shrugging in response. Rolling her eyes, the woman smacks him on the shoulder, causing Slate to let out a low chuckle. Glancing around Vera, the unknown woman settles her eyes onto me and my fellow tribute.

"Well, hello there. I'm Ruby King." she introduces herself, before gesturing over to the man next to her. "And the idiot stuffing his mouth with food is Kyanite Vassilios. We're your mentors for this year's game."

An upset expression plasters itself onto the male mentor's face, as he overdramatically gasps in response.

"That hurt, Rubs. Right here." Kyanite states, pointing at his heart. Rolling her eyes, the mentor gestures for the tributes to sit down at the table. Hesitantly stepping forward, Ebony pulls out a chair and takes a seat.

"So, how much do you two know about how the Games work?" the male mentor questions, biting into a turkey leg.

"Enough to know that I have no chance of winning." the girl replies, fidgeting with her hands.

"I highly doubt that." Ruby remarks, sending Ebony a soft smile. "If we can find something you're good at in training and help you practice it, you'll have a decent shot at winning."

A short silence settles into the air, as Vera stands up from her seat.

"Well, I suppose it's time to eat." the escort declares, stepping over to the platters of sizzling food. "Come eat, children. We only have a short time before arriving at the Capitol."

Immediately rising from his spot, Slate rushes over and piles numerous foods onto a plate. After a reassuring push from Ruby, Ebony follows after her fellow tribute, hoping that the dishes will nourish her body for what's to come.

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।
Everglow ➳ F. ODAIRजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें