01|Twisted Meetings

"Not all storms come to disrupt your life, some come to clear your path"

-Paulo Coelho

A sigh leaves my mouth as a smile forms on my face

A sigh leaves my mouth as a smile forms on my face. My fingers squeeze around the suitcase next to me as I stand on the curb of New York City's airport. The smell of the air all around me is fresh just like how it was when I was younger. Sounds of all the busy cars fill my ears and it's so different from Paris. Closing my eyes I let the air run through my dark brown hair. I've missed my home.

When I open my eyes again I wave out my hand for a taxi. The first one drives past me, but the second car stops and pulls up to the curb. Good now I won't be late for the family reunion. When the car stops I grab the handle opening the door. First I slide my suitcase into the seat next to me. Then I slide into the car.

Smiling as I sit in my seat the driver peaks at me through the mirror. "You seem excited? This must be your first time in New York." He says as he takes the car out of drive and pulls off.

Pulling my phone out of my purse I shake my head. "No sir. I'm actually returning home after 4 years."

His eyes widen as his brows raise. "Really? Welcome home then. Where am I driving you to?" He asks.

"Thank you, sir. You can take me straight to Brooklyn." I reply with a smile. He nods and turns his attention back to the road. When I look down at my phone I open my camera app and hold it up to get me in the frame. When I press the record button I get into my professional mode. "Hello, all!"

"I've finally made it back to NY and oh my gosh it's so beautiful. The taxi driver is taking me right to Brooklyn." Turning my camera I point it right towards the streets passing me by. There are so many people walking the streets. As we get further into the city the traffic slowly starts to build up. Pointing my camera up I gaze at the beautiful long buildings that gleam from the sun. "Look at all those buildings." Turning the camera back to me I smile.

"I'm so glad to be home." With that, I turn my camera off and put down my phone. It's going to take a while for me to get to my mother's house. I might as well let my eyes rest a bit. Closing my eyes I lean back in my seat and enjoy the rides as the car drives smoothly down the expressway.

___

As I get out of the cab I'm faced with my parent's house. So many memories lie here from before they both died. My eyes scan over the house and land on the plant my father planted the day he proposed to my mother. I was sixteen at the time and helped him plant it. The words he said to me that day are still rooted in my mind.

"By the time this tree gets big Joelle your mother and I will be celebrating our 9th anniversary."

A frown forms on my face at the memory. My mother and father didn't get to celebrate their 9th anniversary. They died two years ago in a car crash. The thing is I can't even be mad at the other driver because my parents were the people driving drunk.