Second Year Part Two: When The Teacher is an Absolute Idiot.

Start from the beginning

"Miss Soleil." Dawn shot Hermione an apologetic look before answering.

"The Mandrake, also known as Mandragora, is one of the most powerful restoratives. It's used to return people to their natural state, whether it be transfigured, cursed, or petrified by a creature with such powers," Dawn said. Hermione beamed at Dawn.

"Excellent. Ten points to Hufflepuff." Dawn smiled at that. "The Mandrake is an essential part of many antidotes. It is also, however, very dangerous. Who can tell me why?"

Hermione's hand went up this time.

"The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it," she said. Deadly plants. Nico just loved them. Note the sarcasm.

"Precisely. Ten points to Gryffindor. Now, the Mandrakes we have here are still very young." She pointed to the rows of pots that had plants in them. They looked normal. But normal was barely a thing in the Wizarding world. "Everyone grab some earmuffs." 

There was a flurry of activity as the students tried to grab a pair of earmuffs that weren't pink and fluffy. Except for Dawn, who grabbed the first pair of fluffy earmuffs that she could.

"When I tell you to put them on, make sure your ears are completely covered. When it is safe to remove them, I will give you the thumbs-up. Right, earmuffs on."

Nico put his pair on. The entire world around him went silent when they settled over his ears, which surprised him. Maybe there was a charm on them that made it impossible to hear sounds with them on. Except for the beating of his heart, but that was because it was a part of his body.

Professor Sprout made sure that they were all wearing their earmuffs correctly before she put on her own pink fluffy pair. Then, she grabbed one of the plants firmly, and pulled it out of the soil.

Nico could only compare the Mandrake to a really, really ugly Cupid. If the god were a pudgy earth baby with leaves for hair, sharp teeth and green mottled skin. And if he only ever bawled at the top of his lungs as if he was having a temper tantrum.

Professor Sprout took one of the larger, empty pots and put the Mandrake into it, burying it in the earth so that only its leaves were visible. She dusted off her hands, gave them the thumbs-up and removed her own earmuffs. She waited for everyone to remove theirs.

"As our Mandrakes are only seedlings, their cries won't kill yet," she said with the same casualty as Artemis had when she'd turned that helicopter into a flock of very confused birds. "However, they will knock you out for several hours, and I'm sure that none of you want to miss your first day back. Make sure your earmuffs are securely in place while you work. I will attract your attention when it's time to pack up."

'I can do that,' Nico thought.

"Right, four to a tray. There's a large supply of pots here. Compost sacks over there. And be careful of the Venomous Tentacula, it's teething." She wacked a giant plant, which had been sneaking over her shoulder. The plant retreated. Nico hoped that the whole thing of plants not really liking him would stop it from trying to eat him.

Nico and Dawn ended up working with Neville and Hannah, both of whom were quite happy to. They pulled out the ugly cupids out of their pots and put them in their new ones. Nico noticed Seamus poke his gloved hand in one, which tried to bite him. Nico just shook his head. That boy was always up to the strangest things.

Eventually, they ended up packing up and heading back to the castle. Dawn and Ron were back on their 'keep Lockhart away from Harry' duties, as they stood at either side of him, ready to pull Harry away if needed.

They had to go their separate ways, as they had Defense Against the Dark Arts. The room was mostly empty when they entered, except for the portraits of their teacher.