13. - Denver Ever After

Comenzar desde el principio

Bashfully, I nod, lips slightly pursed. "Actually, can we... check out Downtown Denver Lookout? I Googled it not long ago, and... it's not far. I'm kinda curious too, so..."

Tyson chuckles and starts the ignition. "No worries. I'm not sleepy at all, to be honest." Releasing the handbrake, Tyson scans left and right before guiding the car onto the relatively empty streets. "I could use a bit more of a getaway."

The drive to the park is a very brief one. Once Tyson parks the car somewhere, I eagerly jog to the railings and lean forward, already captivated by the radiant city lights beneath the steady drizzle of snow that I deliberately leave Tyson behind. After locking the car, Tyson follows after me and gently pulls me out of my trance once he's stood beside me. "You seem to really enjoy city lights. I never really know why."

In a good mood, I offer him an honest answer. "It's not that deep. Just something I've always cherished since I was a kid." I meet the inquisitive gaze of the tiger. "Back in Indonesia, there's this... modest monthly night market near my neighborhood. Well, technically, on the soccer field in my neighborhood, but that's not relevant." I pull out a cigarette and light it up, Tyson observing my small movements with keen interest. "After they adopt me, I always used to ask my stepmom to let me on the Ferris wheel, and—"

"Wait, wait. A Ferris wheel?"

"It's not as grand as you might think. It was rather small, actually. But anyway, yeah. I always made sure to ride the Ferris wheel because it was the only way for someone as short as me to see things: from above. It felt like flying. And... I've never been afraid of heights, somehow. Maybe I got that from my mom." I take a puff of my cigarette and return my gaze to the sprawling city displayed before me, resembling a mesmerizing painting. "Looking at city lights, or stars, or any distant lights is my guilty pleasure. Or maybe a hobby?" I peer at the cars cruising the streets below the elevated park. "Perhaps a bit of both."

Tyson nods meaningfully. "So, that's why you're such a big fan of going to Juniper's Edge, huh?"

Nodding, I offer him a soft smile. "It's a good spot to have some solitude, too. Though sometimes finding that many couples coddling one another can be a bit too much for me."

Tyson cackles. "Yeah, Foster mentioned something similar once. But, you know, maybe you can bring Matty along next time."

"I have. More than thrice. Hell, we agreed on it during the early semester days. It's just that he kept making plans with his other friends, so we usually ended up hanging out only at cafes."

Tyson nods and hums knowingly. "Well, I can chaperone you."

I knit my eyebrows, offering a mild scowl. "Please choose your words carefully. I'm enjoying tonight."

Tyson raises his paws in defense. "Okay, okay, just suggesting!"

I roll my eyes and snicker. "I can't believe I'm talking with you again 'cause of some stupid coincidence." Taking a deep breath, I watch a snowflake falling on the ground below. "Been a long time."

Gazing at me, Tyson offers a warm smile. "It's not a coincidence, you know?" Then, he gently nudges my elbow. "Thanks for giving me a chance."

"Don't get your hopes up, tiger."

"Whatever."

Another silence settles between us, one devoid of awkwardness. It's a soothing kind of quiet, with only the city lights, the falling snow, and us. Eventually, Tyson breaks the silence. "This... local night market you were saying. Can you tell me more about it?"

I give Tyson a judgmental look but decide to indulge him with more details, recognizing that he's becoming increasingly attached to this impromptu road trip. Although, I can't deny that a part of me is feeling the same way.