Chapter 4: Truth Goes Spoken

After a long and exhausting day at work, the events of last night continued to replay in my mind

After a long and exhausting day at work, the events of last night continued to replay in my mind. The revelation that Diane was the Crimson Paw, and the unfortunate incident where I inadvertently injured her, weighed heavily on my thoughts.

As I sat in my quiet apartment, contemplating the events, a lingering question nagged at me. Would everything have unfolded differently if I hadn't taken off her hood that night? Would our paths have crossed again, unaware of each other's secrets?

Lost in my thoughts, I imagined an alternative scenario. In this rewritten version of events, I decided to leave the hood on, preserving the mystery that surrounded Diane. Perhaps if her true identity remained hidden, we would have continued our interactions without the burden of our hidden truths.

In this version, our relationship would have progressed organically, built on shared experiences and genuine connection. The excitement and beauty of our outings would have remained untarnished by the knowledge of her alter ego.

However, as I delved deeper into this alternate reality, unease washed over me. While concealing the truth might have preserved the initial charm and innocence of our interactions, it would have been all an illusion. Eventually, the truth would have come to light, and the consequences of our unspoken secrets would have been far greater.

I lay in bed, and the question of Diane's motives continued to gnaw at me. Why would she engage in these daring heists, only to return the stolen valuables seemingly without any personal gain? Questions in my mind are building up, begging for an answer.

Various possibilities swirled through my mind. Perhaps Diane's actions were driven by a thrill-seeking nature, a desire for excitement and adventure. Breaking into banks and executing heists could provide an adrenaline rush unlike anything else. Maybe she reveled in the thrill of outsmarting security systems and eluding capture, finding satisfaction in the challenge itself.

Feeling mentally drained from the day's events and the incessant speculation, I decided to let sleep claim me. The next day,  I opened my eyes to the persistent knocking at the door, I groggily checked the time on my phone. 

It was 6 AM, and I couldn't fathom who could be visiting at such an early hour. "Is it my Amazon order here this early?" I mumbled to myself, feeling the cool morning breeze on my skin as I walked downstairs to the front door.

Opening it, I found Diane standing before me in her usual suit, and a sense of resignation washed over me. "Alright, kill me," I sighed, expecting the worst. Confusion flickered across Diane's face as she raised an eyebrow, clearly not understanding my statement.

"What? What are you talking about?" she asked, her gaze darting around as if searching for eavesdroppers. "You already-" Before I could finish my sentence, she pushed me inside and pressed me against the wall, swiftly closing the door, her furry hand against my chest. I suddenly realized I was shirtless, making the situation even more uncomfortable.