Chapter 22: Falling into Place

Sophia's POV

I pulled at the lengthy black dress, feeling uncomfortable in its dark color. My hair was neatly pulled into a bun, a veil covering my face. I pulled on a pair of white gloves and my black dress suit.

"You ready?" Kas asked. I looked at her, a sad expression split across her face. She wore a short black dress with matching tights. Nodding, I followed her to the car with Sam trailing behind us. I buckled him into the seat, kissing his cheek. He didn't understand what happened that night, and I know he'll want to know sooner or later about why his father never came home. I hopped into the passenger seat, Kassy driving us away to the darkest day of my life. Rain poured, droplets racing down the window. I watched the cars go by, losing myself in my thoughts. I felt an aching pain pull at my heart.  I was feeling a lot worse than I was expecting. Nick and I spent several years together, but because of Sam, he left. Is that what I'm supposed to tell him? That his father wanted nothing with him at first and then tried to kidnap him. Yep. Father of the year right there... I rubbed my temples, trying to compose myself.

"It'll be okay Soph. We're all here for you," Kas encouraged, placing her hand on my lap. Nodding, we stepped out of the car and into a dark, rainy cemetery. People were just arriving and since it didn't start for another ten minutes, I decided to go see my mom.

"Sam, you want to go see grandma?" I asked him sweetly. His face was emotionless, but he took my hand.

"We'll meet you there Kas," I half smiled before walking away with Sam. Looking down, I saw Sam's expression convert to confusion. This was his first funeral, besides his grandma's but he was too young to remember.

"Are you okay hun?" I asked him worriedly.

"Why is there people?" He asked. I looked over at the people crowding in a circle.

"They're here for the funeral." I stated bluntly. Saying nothing more, we found my mother's tomb stone. Being careful, we sat beside it under the oak tree for shelter. We watched everyone fill up seats, getting ready for the long dreadful hour. Sam placed his head on my lap, letting me pet him continuously. Mom, where have you been all this time? Do you know how hard its been without you? Raising Sam on my own. Trying so hard to be the perfect parent. It's been the biggest struggle of my life. But you want to know the good news? Louis and Harry came back. Sam made new friends and even met the love of my life. I didn't realize it until a while ago, but I've always loved Louis. Only him. Because he came back, I just feel whole again. Him and Sam just complete me I guess. Thanks to him, things have gotten easier and Sam LOVES him. I really hope you're doing well. I love you mom.

"Hey," Louis voice echoed in my ear. He stood above me, dashingly wearing a black suit and tie. He held out his hand, and I took it gratefully.

"Hey." I said lowly. I could feel the tears building up, but I couldn't cry. Suddenly, I felt Louis' arms wrap tightly around me. His warmth made me feel safe, secure. I released all my emotions, tears staining his shoulder. I grasped his jacket, trying to keep myself stable. He gently rubbed circles on my back, comforting me.

"It'll be okay," He whispered into my ear, and I knew it would be. Slowly, I let out small huffs, stopping my tears. I pulled away, wiping the salty liquid from my eyes. I slid my hand down his arm, entangling my fingers with his. Grabbing Sam's hand with my free one, we walked toward the funeral 'get together' and took our seats in the front. People began quietting down as Nick's mother, Patricia, stood behind the podium. She too had veil use to cover the tear streaks that lined her cheeks.

"Thanks to all who joined me today. I know it took a lot of convincing, but I'm really thankful to Sophia and Sam for attending a man's funeral who did no good for them. On behalf of Nick, I'm very sorry Soph. He loved you though, very much." I began trembling. The thoughts of him and I fled through my mind, making my heart ache. Louis squeezed my hand, reassuring me he was still here with me. "Nick was my only son, and even though he made many wrong choices, he made very many good ones too. He lived his life well and did good things for the people he loved and the community he grew up in. I know he was sinful, but I hope you can all find the heart to forgive him for his mistakes and love him for the good he did. He took care of me when his father left. He took care of his family better than anyone I knew. We love you Nick, always and forever." She finished weeping. I felt tears cascading down my cheeks. I couldn't stop. A few people quickly helped her down from the podium as her knees fell weak.