Chapter 18: Is There Such a Thing as Miracles?

"Sorry?" I choked. He's gone. No it can't be! I fell to my knees, my body paralyzing. Slowly, Louis fell to my side along with Harry. They pulled on my arms, but I wouldn't budge. I didn't want to get up. I didn't want to believe Sam was gone.

"Could you come with me," Detective Carlson commanded. Not a single sign of sadness showed on his face. Silent sobs escaped my lips as Louis lifted me back to my feet. Dragging myself, I followed behind Detective Carlson into a white room. There were no windows. All I could see was a small bed with a body hidden under a white sheet. Wires cascading all over, tangled in bunches. I felt my knees grow weak, but Louis caught me.

"I've got you," he whispered taking my hand. Taking deep breathes, I followed Detective Carlson to the table, tears flowing. Louis' hand wrapped around mine, squeezing it to keep me from passing out. Detective Carlson pulled back the sheet, and what he revealed made my stomach churn. Scares ran up and down his face, blood staining his pale skin. His face, once so loving and pure, was now bruised and damaged. I grabbed tightly to Louis' hand, feeling my head spin.

"Miss, do you know this man?" Detective Carlson asked curiously. I pondered the question, hesitating to answer. 

"Yes.. it's my... my ex husband," I stuttered, breathing quickly. My heart beat unsteadily, making me feel queezy. I traced my fingers gently across his scares, feeling chills roll down my spine. Tears ran down my face, realizing it was Nick who took Sam. This was his fault. 

"He was found in the truck with your son. We took some tests, and the results came in as him being under the influence. He died instantly when he crashed miss, I'm terribly sorry," Detective Carlson frowned. I wasn't sure what to feel. I felt sick and I didn't want to be here. Lowering my head, I gazed at the white tiles, trying to figure out what to say but the only thing that mattered is my son.

"Can you take me to my son please," I asked, my voice shaking. Detective Carlson's eyes widened, filled with worry. Frowning, my stomach kept churning. Nodding, he lead me out of the white room and into a more comfortable blue colored room that had at least one window. A curtain divided the room, covering Sam from my view. Taking a deep breathe, I pulled back the curtain to reveal my baby. His body lied weak and pale. A small sheet cover his body, only showing his face. Small bruises created uneven patterns over his sleepless visage. Frowning, I ran to his side taking his small hand in mine. I looked up at Detective Carlson, hoping he would answer my question.

"You're son is still alive, but at the moment is stuck in a coma. Unfortunately, we aren't sure how long it will be," He sighed looking at one of the monitors. Unlike Nick, Sam only had a few wires around him, but his paleness was enough to make me feel just as sick. I gently traced my fingers across his cheek, feeling small bumps where the bruises formed. I couldn't help but smile though. He was alive, and that's all the hope I needed. 

"Could you give me a minute?" I asked quietly. Soon everyone was gone and all that was left was Sam and I. I stared at his face, trying to figure out why would someone do this to him. I wasn't religious, but why would the world or fate do this to such an innocent young boy who's been nothing but good. 

"When you wake up, I promise I'll be here," I whispered, kissing his hand. Smiling, I knew I intended to keep that promise.

                                                                               * * * * *

Louis' POV

I walked into Sam's room to see Sophia had fallen asleep. Her head lied on the side of the bed while her fingers intertwined with Sam's. I frowned knowing she has been here everyday for the past two weeks. Harry would come in every now and then to check up on her, but she asked him to stop. She wasn't mad at him anymore, but she didn't want to see him either. Because of this, they broke up. Harry's been home, not coming out. He blamed himself for everything even though he knew it wasn't his fault. I felt bad for my boobear, but I wasn't about to let Sophia go through this alone. Kassy agreed to stay with Harry, hoping to get him to eat.