Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Lucky’s POV

Blade had brought his tv from home and set up a gaming center on the ground in my living room. I love seeing this side of Blade. He always acts so business.

Sometimes, I wonder if it is more so than me. He is stuck in a permanent guard. He is propped up on cushions pulled from my couch as if he were a kid in a slumber party. He in fact looks younger. At times I forget he is not my age. A decade between him and I and he is my chosen family. I really hope they will get along. Katia and I stand on the edge of the kitchen watching his hobby unfold.

In a whispering rage, Blade hisses into his bluetooth headphone. “Take that you twelve year old! Fucking camper, noob. Stop cheating and go back to school.”

Katia’s mouth is wide open, in disbelief at what she is seeing.
“What, woe. Is that a video game?”

She stares in complete awe. I realize when she gamed…….. a lot has changed. 

“Yes, it’s called a Playstation. It allows you to play with others now. From all around the world.”

“No way! It looks like a movie! I am going to check it out. Wanna play?”

“Nah, not my thing. Go. Have fun.”

She nods quickly, excited to explore modern day technology. On her way to Blade, Katia realizes he is so absorbed in his game he doesn’t know she is coming. So, she switched her walk to her Ben and Jerry tiptoe. To my surprise, it’s working. I can’t believe she is actually able to sneak up on him. 

When she is only feet away she yells, “Incoming!”

He rolled back, about to use the controller to protect himself. When he saw it was her. Irritated at her sneak attack. He greets her in Italian stating little brat. “Piccolo marmocchio.”

It was a sight for sore eyes. Katia is laughing to the point of tears.

“You should have…. Hahaa. Seen your …. Hahaaa. Face. Hahahaa.”

I am grinning at the carefree Katia. Good to see she is open to settling in. 

“Grow up.”

“Can I watch and maybe try one?”

“I guess.”

Blade explains what all the buttons do as he plays. I’m in a bit of shock, watching my past and present collaborate. The ripples of her melting. I was half expecting waves, thinking Katia would have needed more time to adjust. 

It’s like we are getting to know one another again. Well, I am remembering. She is learning. I haven’t processed all the things I've given up or taken on through the years. She doesn’t know who I am today. Only the carefree teenager.

I hesitate when making my coffee. I may be able to close my eyes a bit more now that Blade is keeping an eye on her. My body feels like one of my golden trophies since my Gem has left. Stiff. Lifeless. Stagnant. I fear the mask I wear for Katia’s sake is slipping. All those years of waiting and wishing to talk to her again and all I want to do is close my eyes. Pray I’ll have a dream with my sweet Gem in it. It’s unfair. Why has life continuously cursed me?

Now, Katia has fully taken on the controller, motioning her hands as she presses the buttons. 

“You don’t have to move the controller right to move right. Just the right button. 

“Oh, it worked. Take that, dick! Hey, Pointy.”

“Blade.”

“Yeah, sharp guy. Can these guys hear me?”