Chapter 33

Trigger warnings this chapter.

Chapter 33

Gemma’s POV

It has been a month since Lucky and I broke it off. Which has proven a little difficult. For weeks I was feeling followed and taunted with paranoia and loneliness. 

I was linking it to lack of sleep. My nightmares have been the worst in my life. Flashbacks from my parent’s past plaguing me. Even some dreams I had never seen, unrecognizable. Odd. Doomsday had never felt so dark. I have a huge ache in me, wondering if something else is around the corner. My depression had never felt so paralyzing, cosmically destructible. So, I lay here on my brothers pull out couch, twiddling my thumbs, trying to sleep.

Ring, Ring

“Hey, Miss Gemma. It’s Carl.”

“What’s going on, Carl?”

“Sam called out again.”

“What has been happening?”

“He said he is sick but I saw him out and about early evening with some dude I never saw before. Smashing drinks down.”

“No problem. I will be there soon.”

“Are you sure Miss Gemma? I know your brother is coming in the morning to check the electricity.”

“I will be fine. Thank you. See you soon.”

Bottom shelf hangovers, making me break my back. I am tired of being tired.

Diner

It doesn't help that my work life has not been any better. It’s been crazy around here. People have been rowdier than ever, having to hire a bouncer during the overnight shifts, paying an off duty trooper to help keep the ruckus at bay. 

“Hey, Senior Trooper Harper.”

“Maam.”

“Hope to have it be calm tonight.”

“Don’t jinx us now.”

The dancers from the new club that are competing with my friend’s more respectable club start rolling in. The new club employees seem to be willing to do anything for a patron. The trooper had to practically pull the women from the men while eating. 

“Lap dances are done at your club, not at this respectful diner. I will not hesitate to ask you to leave. So, please conduct yourself with some respect and mind the traveling families that pass through. These kids don’t need to see that.”

He is the nicest man, but when he uses his cop voice. It gives me chills. I know he is off the market. Most are but… he dates my hair stylist. So, that is a no go. I almost wish for a man to distract me from Lucky. He had consumed my mind. All I am hoping for is all of the Doctor appointments I have gone to this month will help. I just realized that I have been non- stop since the split.

There was still some time left before tater tot was coming in. So, I make a b line to Lucky’s table, taking a moment to look back on the last month of doctor appointments, knowing how important today will be.

Doctor Phyllis and Hope think they can help Lucky. From their findings my tears wouldn’t intertwine with Luckys DNA, or get absorbed by it at all. So, I couldn’t heal him. Though, a pill form has been developed that they think will work for others surrounding him. Kind of like building up an antibody. Similar to someone getting a flu shot. My fingers are crossed like none other, wishing for hope for his future. 

I sit in his spot, rimming a coffee cup with my finger. So many memories at and on this table. One tear glides down my cheek. I really want today to go well.