Chapter 4

The door opened a second later and Kakashi followed after you.

He walked next to you silently before saying, "You alright?"

"As alright as I can be."

He hummed in response. After a while, he sighed and said, "You know, I'm not very good at this comforting thing, but," he turned to you smiling, "I'm always here if you need me."

You scoff. "Not good at comforting, he says."

"It's true! You know I'm not very good with... emotions." He waved his hands around.

"And yet you always know how to make me feel better."

"I do know you better than almost anyone." He nudged his shoulder with yours. "How many years has it been, now?"

"Eight," You respond. You stop at a window and stare up at a bird sitting on a pole. A crow. You looked away.

Kakashi stood next to you and leaned on the windowsill. "I was a stupid teenager like you, back then."

You click your tongue. "I'm not a stupid teenager," You grumble.

He gave you a look, and you punched him in the shoulder.

"Kidding, kidding," he said with a closed eye smile.

You smiled softly back at him. You turn back to the window, recalling the day you met Kakashi.

✦𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤✦

You ran through the forest as quickly as you could, a kunai in your hand. Your master had been angry today. He stormed into the hideout and screamed that he needed you to take care of someone immediately. You had gotten your weapons together and left as fast as you could.

You looked at the picture of the man your master had given you. The man looked kinda mean, but you didn't really want to kill him.

Suddenly, a man dropped down in front of you and threw a kunai at you. You threw yourself to the side to dodge it and threw a kunai back at him. Suddenly, there were more men. You drew more kunai and threw them at all of them, but the men easily blocked them. You tried to run away, but you were completely surrounded.

One of them spoke up, "I can feel any sort of chakra signature from her. Kill her. She could be dangerous."

You backed away and your eyes went wide.

"Wait." A voice said. A young man dropped from a tree in front of you. He walked towards you, and you backed away. When he reached you, he lifted your chin and examined your face. You flinched from the contact. His gaze was cold, and unfeeling. A mask covered the lower half of his face. A long scar went over his left eye. He looked bored.

He let go of your chin and turned to his comrade. "Do we really have to kill this one? She's just a child." He looked over your shoulder at you. "We should just take her to the village. A child shouldn't be around this area alone."

His comrade stared at him for a second. "I trust your judgment. But you'll have to check with the Hokage." He looked around. "Let's go." He turned back to the man next to you. "Stay with the girl." The man sighed, but grabbed you and jumped into the trees with the rest of the group.

You tried to struggle away from him at first, then held on tight to him as you realized how fast you were flying through the trees.

When you didn't feel like your life was in as much danger anymore, you looked at the man who was carrying you.

"What's your name?" You asked him.

He didn't look at you. "I don't think I can tell you that yet."

"Oh." You were disappointed. "My name's Y/N. Why do you wear a mask?" You asked.

"That's personal," he glanced at you.

"Can I see your face?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I don't show anyone my face."

"Why not?"

He sighed, and looked at you. "You talk a lot."

"Oh," you said. "I'm sorry."

After a couple minutes of silence, you started talking again.

"How old are you?" You asked.

He sighed. "Fifteen."

"Wow, you're old. Is that why your hair is white? I'm seven." You watched as the trees whizzed by you. "You're really fast," you said.

"Yeah?" He replied. "It's a little harder to jump this fast holding you, though."

"Oh. I'm sorry. Am I heavy?"

He seemed surprised by the question. "Uh, that's not what I meant," he said. "It's just that the way I'm holding you is a little awkward."

No wonder. He had one arm firmly around your waist and you were clinging to his side like a koala.

"Oh," you said.

Kakashi stopped jumping. He crouched down in front of you. "Here, get on."

You crawled onto his back and he held onto your legs before jumping through the trees again. You wrapped your arms around him and rested your chin on his shoulder. He flinched as you did this, and looked back at you for a second.

You were tired, and your survival instincts told you to stay awake, but flying through the air was lulling you to sleep. You inhaled the man's scent as you breathed, and it calmed you down. As your consciousness drifted away, for the first time, you felt safe.

✦𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐄𝐧𝐝✦

Kakashi looked over at you. "What're you smiling about?"

"Nothing," you said. "Just that I don't deserve you. You've helped me so much."

"You've helped me too, you know." He looked up at the sky. "When we met on my mission that night, I think we both needed someone."

"Yeah." You smiled. "I feel better now. Thank you, Kakashi."