Chapter 2: Friends from the Start, Opponents for Life

December 3rd, Glory!

For a full month now, this logo, with its bold letters, crossed swords, and wings spread as though they would fly out of the paper, was grandly displayed almost everywhere you looked – TV screens, computer screens, physical posters, and flyers in every corner of the city.

"One month? December 3rd, that's exactly six weeks away, 42 days!" Kim Taehyung spoke while scrolling through yet another Glory ad that had popped up on the screen. This upcoming game was invading everyone's line of sight at any given moment.

Ka ka ka...

!!

But the only answer he got was the sound of a keyboard and mouse, light but rhythmic.

Kim Taehyung glanced at the one sitting beside him. The screen was currently displaying flashes from attacks and a river of blood, but the player himself wore a bored expression. Clearly, doing something like this didn't require his full attention.

"Did you hear what I just said?" Kim Taehyung complained. The fight clearly didn't require his friend's full attention, so there was no reason for him to be oblivious to the outside world.

"I heard, Glory, my ears are bleeding from hearing that word from your mouth so often, can't you see?" said Jeon Jungkook. Ever since Glory had begun its advertising campaign, Kim Taehyung had talked about this game almost incessantly. Heaven knew how much he was looking forward to it.

"It hasn't been announced for too long, but with this kind of explosive momentum, this is enough. This is definitely going to be a successful game," said Kim Taehyung, ignoring Jeon Jungkook's apparent disinterest.

"Mm," Jeon Jungkook said noncommittally. He really had heard this too many times.

"I heard this game doesn't use a username and password to log on, you need an account card to swipe."

"Mm."

"You need a specific card reader too, for it to work."

"Mm."

"But this card reader is still relatively cheap."

"Mm."

"But the system requirements for the computer seem to be pretty high!"

"Oh?" This finally got Jeon Jungkook's attention – the rhythm of the keyboard got louder for a second, before stabilizing again. He turned to look with a serious expression. "What kind of requirements?"

Kim Taehyung didn't answer. He had two very old computers here; one was in slightly better condition, but even that one barely met the minimum requirements for running Glory. The other computer was so bad that it didn't wasn't even worth talking about. Jeon Jungkook was no computer expert, but he'd played on these computers for several months now, and Kim Taehyung trusted that he didn't need to explain.

"It's time to exchange these," said Jeon Jungkook, still with that serious expression. Although he wasn't as excited for Glory as Kim Taehyung was, he clearly didn't want to lose the power of choice. To decide whether a game was good or bad, you had to play it yourself.

"Yeah, it's time to get new ones, but money's been a bit tight lately..."

Having lived here for several months, Jeon Jungkook was of course clear on the living conditions of these two siblings. They were orphans with no relatives, and their entire livelihoods depended on the income Kim Taehyung earned from playing games. After Jeon Jungkook arrived, they now had a second person earning money, so their situation was a little better off. Still, although they didn't struggle to get basic necessities, it would be a stretch to just pull out the cash for two new computers. Kim Taehyung wouldn't have put up with these two terrible computers if he had had that luxury.