Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

"A...a brother? Like BB?"

"Exactly like King Ben. Only this brother would be younger than you," Gia said. "Your father...he had another child."

"...Did...did he not want me because I'm a girl, mama? Is that why I'm with maman and papa?"

Genevieve's small voice honestly broke Gia's heart and she quickly wrapped her up into her arms. "No, no honey. And even if that was the case, you don't need him," she said. "You have your papa and you have your Perry. Remember what Ben always says."

"Blood doesn't make family?" Genevieve said softly, wiping away some of the tears that had started to roll down her cheeks.

Gia nodded. "Exactly sweetheart. And I'm so sorry honey, I never wanted to hurt you by telling you. We all thought it might be easier to tell you sooner because there might be a chance your brother could end up in Auradon."

"Why?" Genevieve asked, sniffing softly.

"Because he'd have a chance for a good life here if he wants it," Gia explained. "And shouldn't he get the chance to meet the world's best big sister?"

"...I thought that was Queen Mal?" Genevieve said softly. "After all, Rea says there's no sister better than Queen Mal."

"Okay, first of all, remind me to introduce Lady Rea to your Auntie Piper and then have her say no one's better than Mal," Gia said and smiled as she heard the giggles coming from her daughter. "And second of all, no one's expecting you accept your brother right away honey. That's not fair to you."

"Then...then why are you telling me mama?"

"Because you have the right to know," Gia said and gave her daughter a small smile. "I once grew up in a world where I had no control over my life. That's the last thing I want for you."

Genevieve smiled softly. "Thank you mama. Can...can I go now?"

"Of course sweetheart," Gia nodded and watched as Genevieve walked off. She sighed and shook her head; did she do the right thing?

"Don't second guess yourself," Hayden's voice came from behind her. "You know it's better that she learn from you now than learn from kingdom gossip years from now."

"How'd you know what I was thinking?" Gia asked as she looked over at Hayden.

"It was a lucky guess," Hayden said before kissing the top of her head. "You told her about Zevon's kid?"

"Yeah," Gia nodded with a small sigh. "I know it might be too early but like you said, she deserved to hear it from me. I just...I wish Zevon wasn't the only way she could have a sibling."

Hayden gave her a small, slightly sad smile as he held her close. "He's not. Remember she's also King Ben's little sister. And now she has a niece and nephew who'll practically be siblings to her with how the age gap is between them."

"I'm sure King Ben would appreciate that," Gia said with a small smile before sighing. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Hayden asked, tilting his head.

"That we never had kids of our own."

Hayden shook his head. "Gia, I told you back when we were dating and then again after we got married, I'm fine not having kids of my own. I have a plethora of siblings and cousins I can be the fun uncle for if I need to be. And what's more, you are not a baby machine Gia. If you didn't want any more kids after Genevieve, then that's your choice. No one can make that choice but you."

Gia smiled and gently kissed Hayden on the cheek. "How did I get so lucky to find you?"

"I believe we both went into Evie's at the same time and ended up leaving with both our orders and a lunch date," Hayden said with a small smile.